Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Campden Solution prepared ahead of time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

Default Campden Solution prepared ahead of time?

Thought I'd make my own thread about this.

Normally when I brew and use my town water, I cut a campden tab in 1/4s and crush between 2 spoons, place in a small mason jar, add water, and shake for a few seconds. This usually gives a well-mixed solution which I add to the plastic jug before adding my water.

Now I wonder, would it be effective to prepare a 1/4 tab solution in a mason jar ahead of time and just keep them on the shelf?

Pressure canned?

That way I don't even have to crush the tablet and whatnot... I'm more curious than anything. Does the campden tab lose effectiveness after sitting around?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 19

What do you smell when you put a campden tablet into water? SO2. Metabite is often called solid sulfur dioxide. If you can smell it it is leaving solution so if you want to premix be sure that you cap the container tightly. Other than loss to the air I don't see why it shouldn't have a reasonable shelf life.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
BrewandWineSupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you using the campden tables to sanitize? If you are, you can save time by mixing 2oz of Potassium Metabisulfite in a gallon of water and cap with a plastic cap. You can use this solution for months. Campden tablets are K-Meta (Potasssium Metabisulfite) mixed with a binder to form a tablet that is pre measured to aprox 1/32+ of a teaspoon (055mg).
Using in in the smaller fashon as you say, yes you can pre mix and store it for quite a while ( months ) Do not use metal, the K-Meta (actually the sulpher gas) will eat it. Use a plastic or glass container and lid. ( I keep some in a 750 bottle with a used plastic wine cork).
Hope this helped.

Beer, wine, distilling and cheese supplies and equipment, Coffee, teas, and sausage and jerky stuff. Kegging equipment too.
Stocking Lublin, Lomic, Junga, Marynka and other Polish hops.
http://Brewandwinesupply.com

Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

What I use it for is to remove the Chloramine from our city water system. When I called the city offices and asked the lady said the water guy told her we use chloramines because of our old pipes.

So I wondered if it would be reasonable to keep a mixture on hand and add some of the solution instead of digging out the tablets and crushing them each time. I'm already using a syringe to measure acid anyway. It would be pretty easy to mix up a solution and then draw up like 5 ml of the mixture and add to the water jug.

I never have smelled the stuff before. I'll have to do that next time I brew.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
BrewandWineSupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yes, you can do that. It smells of sulpher, in that low of a dose it will be faint.

Beer, wine, distilling and cheese supplies and equipment, Coffee, teas, and sausage and jerky stuff. Kegging equipment too.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Get a small (~2oz) container of pure Kmeta. I hear that campden tabs can contain either NaMeta, or KMeta, depending on the day they are made.
Common dose is 1/16tsp/20g gallon.
Strange about ther earlier post saying campden tabs are 1/32, as I had heard one campden tablet treats 20 gallons.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Does anyone really care whether he gets 1.8 mg/L sodium or 3.3 mg/L potassium? These are the amounts required to treat water at 3 mg/L chloramine (see table in Sticky, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/cam...-water-361073/).

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
BrewandWineSupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
Get a small (~2oz) container of pure Kmeta. I hear that campden tabs can contain either NaMeta, or KMeta, depending on the day they are made.
Strange about ther earlier post saying campden tabs are 1/32, as I had heard one campden tablet treats 20 gallons.

For wine making, to kill wild yeast, use one campden tablet per gallon or 1/4 tsp K meta for 6 gallons.

As for conditioning water for brewing one tablet for 20 may be right.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Does anyone really care whether he gets 1.8 mg/L sodium or 3.3 mg/L potassium? These are the amounts required to treat water at 3 mg/L chloramine (see table in Sticky, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/cam...-water-361073/).
No, just that I had just heard that the dosage for water treatment is not the same when using units of 'campden tabs', since they mix and match the active ingredient (by weight only?). Also, I usually only see the little medicine bottles (for <$1/oz., by the way) of pure KMeta, not NaMeta. The main benefit of the pure product is there is no grinding/crushing needed, since it dissolves almost instantly, which seemed like the impetus for his desire to premix (although measuring a larger diluted volume might also be easier and more accurate). Also no 'cutting' tabs up, since it is available as is in salt grain size portions. I just eyeball it, myself. I pinch here, a dash there. As you said, it isn't that much added salt, even if you overdo it a bit.

I have read your post/report before, but it is fairly long for someone looking for a quick dosage guideline, especially a volumetric one for when your scale isn't handy (or you are just lazy, like me most times). After some protracted reading, I found someone who had converted worst case doses into tsp, dashes, and pinches. Also, about a hundred other posts (many with incorrect info) will show up in a search on the topic. It is a shame the Wiki isn't used more often than it is, especially since there is a time limit on editing posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewandWineSupply View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
For wine making, to kill wild yeast, use one campden tablet per gallon or 1/4 tsp K meta for 6 gallons.

As for conditioning water for brewing one tablet for 20 may be right.
Not sure what the color war is about. It was obvious to me, even after the OP's first post, but certainly after his one stating it, that he was using it to remove chlorine/chloramine.
You stated that a campden tab is 1/32 tsp of kmeta/nameta. The recommended (worst case) dose for chloramine treated water, as I have heard many times, is 1 tab/20 gal. The recommended volumetric dose, as I have heard many times, of pure Kmeta is 1/16 tsp for chloramine. Something is strange with one of those dosing recs, not to mention your mass equivalent you stated as 055mg KMeta/campden tab, which sounds even stranger.

The link a few posts earlier has the dose by mass, which I can't recall with certainty at the moment.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
BrewandWineSupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

What color war? just did a highlight and not a delete.
It was not clear to me until the third post what he was doing.
Yes you are right, 1 campden tablet is not 1/32 of a teaspoon, its 1/24 but I have not seen that in a set of measuring spoons. 1/32 is closest with out going over.
Yes you are right on the .055, just transposed the numbers as it should be 550 mg.
Sorry for my errors.
Here is where the info comes from:

dougs-game-cam-001.jpg  

Quick Reply