Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Calibrate boil point based on pressure or altitude?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Calibrate boil point based on pressure or altitude?

Hey, so I've been having some attenuation problems (a few points high on the FG). Anyways, I'm recalibrating my thermometer. I looked at the local weather as reported by a weather station in my town. The weather station says the elevation is 700 feet, which is probably about where my house is as I live on a ridge. However, the most recent pressure readings have said about 29.95 inches of mercury. I'm assuming I should calibrate my boiling temperature based on the current pressure as opposed to the reported elevation. Is this what you folks do?

__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
RickFinsta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saukville, WI
Posts: 77
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Use absolute pressure; barometric readings should be fine, IMHO.

__________________
RickFinsta is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
ajdelange
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 6,129
Liked 613 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

You want the barometric pressure at your 'station' (QFE). Weather reporting entities get barometric pressure data from the nearest airport. These actually report 'altimeter' (QNH) but some report sea level pressure (QFF). For example, if you live near Burlington the current METAR looks like
KBTV 011549Z 13007KT 2SM -SN BKN017 BKN024 OVC036 M01/M04 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP092 P0001 T10061039
Here A2979 means QNH is 29.79 (1008.8 mb) while SLP092 means the station pressure reduced to sea level (by unfathomable rules) is 1009.2 mb) i.e. not much difference. Use either as either is representative of pressure at sea level). The ratio of pressure at 700 feet to that at sea level is 0.9750 so you can convert a QNH or QFF report to QFE by multiplying by that ratio. Thus, using the QFF value QFE = 1009.2*0.9750 = 983.9. The last step is to put the formula
" = 1013.25*(10^( 8.07131 - 1730.63/(233.426+ A1)))/760"
into a cell (other than A1) in an Excel spreadsheet. Now type temperatures ( °C) into cell A1 until the cell with formula reads 983.9 (or use the Solver find the value of cell A1 which does that). Doing that for 983.9 would give you a temperature of 99.19 °C as the temperature at which water would boil at 700 feet MSL if located near BTV at 15:49Z.

To convert mmHg to mB use mb = 1013.25*mmHg/29.92. To get the METAR from your nearest airport take the airport code (e.g. BTV), stick a K in front of it (KBTV) and do a search on 'KBTV METAR'.

You might want to look at wunderground.com/wundermap and interpolate barometer readings to determine the pressure in your area. Try to interpolate between airport or other 'official' stations. You may find an amateur station close to you but the odds that the guy has corrected his barometer correctly are pretty slim. Of course < 1°C isn't that much. It's probably not the source of your problem.

__________________
ajdelange is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Much easier to buy a thermapen.

__________________
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Much easier to buy a thermapen.
Why? Do they automatically calibrate based on altitude/pressure?
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
You want the barometric pressure at your 'station' (QFE). Weather reporting entities get barometric pressure data from the nearest airport. These actually report 'altimeter' (QNH) but some report sea level pressure (QFF). For example, if you live near Burlington the current METAR looks like
KBTV 011549Z 13007KT 2SM -SN BKN017 BKN024 OVC036 M01/M04 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP092 P0001 T10061039
Here A2979 means QNH is 29.79 (1008.8 mb) while SLP092 means the station pressure reduced to sea level (by unfathomable rules) is 1009.2 mb) i.e. not much difference. Use either as either is representative of pressure at sea level). The ratio of pressure at 700 feet to that at sea level is 0.9750 so you can convert a QNH or QFF report to QFE by multiplying by that ratio. Thus, using the QFF value QFE = 1009.2*0.9750 = 983.9. The last step is to put the formula
" = 1013.25*(10^( 8.07131 - 1730.63/(233.426+ A1)))/760"
into a cell (other than A1) in an Excel spreadsheet. Now type temperatures ( °C) into cell A1 until the cell with formula reads 983.9 (or use the Solver find the value of cell A1 which does that). Doing that for 983.9 would give you a temperature of 99.19 °C as the temperature at which water would boil at 700 feet MSL if located near BTV at 15:49Z.

To convert mmHg to mB use mb = 1013.25*mmHg/29.92. To get the METAR from your nearest airport take the airport code (e.g. BTV), stick a K in front of it (KBTV) and do a search on 'KBTV METAR'.

You might want to look at wunderground.com/wundermap and interpolate barometer readings to determine the pressure in your area. Try to interpolate between airport or other 'official' stations. You may find an amateur station close to you but the odds that the guy has corrected his barometer correctly are pretty slim. Of course < 1°C isn't that much. It's probably not the source of your problem.
Wow, thanks for all the info. Apparently, having looked at the METAR data on the Weather Underground page, the pressure data appears to be from KMPV, which is Knapp State Airport in Barre/Berlin. EDIT: Also, I agree that the temperature probably isn't my problem, but I like to do my best to eliminate variables. My pH on the last beer was 5.42, so that's definitely not the problem. I use pure O2 for aeration, so that's not it. The recipe I used for the last batch was for 70% efficiency, but I forgot to convert the proportions of special malts when I converted to 75%, so that'd have some effect. Also, I used 60L caramunich instead of crystal 40, so that might be slightly less fermentable. I'd imagine the biggest problem with this last one was just the temperature swing overnight the first night after pitching (The next day I got it in to a fermentation chamber with my temperature controller.). The other possibility, I suppose, is that all three batches used yeast from my LHBS...maybe the yeast wasn't handled very well. Also, I haven't been wicked focused on getting an accurate OG, so perhaps I was a few points high to begin with (The more I think about it, the more I think this could be it.). Anyways, thanks for your info.
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Why? Do they automatically calibrate based on altitude/pressure?
No, but they're super accurate, and at your altitude, your attenuation problem is not height related.
__________________
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Makakilo, Hawaii
Posts: 6,268
Liked 1930 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Default

I think WW is suggesting you buy a thermapen to use as a reference to calibrate your current thermometer. They are suppose to be very accurate. http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/video-training/

Edit. WW beat me to it

__________________
Dan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I think WW is suggesting you buy a thermapen to use as a reference to calibrate your current thermometer. They are suppose to be very accurate. http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/video-training/

Edit. WW beat me to it
Well, I don't think I'll be spending $89 on a thermometer anytime soon, as I have a kid that's due soon. Certainly I would love to have a thermapen.
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
No, but they're super accurate, and at your altitude, your attenuation problem is not height related.
How can you know that my problem isn't elevation related, since you don't know what my thermometer currently reads at boiling?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm tired, I didn't completely think that one through.
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High altitude brewing recommendations beerdiver Brew Science 2 02-26-2012 02:49 PM
Nitro Beer Altitude Question JayhawkCWE Brew Science 2 10-29-2011 08:33 PM
mineral concentrations based on pre boil or post boil volume? SamuraiSquirrel Brew Science 5 10-27-2011 11:24 PM
High Altitude, Residual CO2 jescholler Brew Science 5 07-25-2010 05:06 AM
Altitude and carbonation SpaghettiMonster Brew Science 11 06-05-2009 12:37 PM