The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Calculating ABV in Cider IF...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Calculating ABV in Cider IF...

I know how to calculate ABV using OG n FG…

However, in making cider, If I let the cider go from, say 70 to 00 and back sweeten with a can of frozen apple concentrate.. is there a way to figure what the ABV if I let it ferment just long enough to carbonate the bottles and then pasteurize in a hot water bath?

I'm guessing it won't raise the ABV much.. but, for the sake of MY science, I was hoping there was a way to calculate this out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
01TRV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What if you let one of the bottles sit with an airlock or balloon so that it doesn't actually carb up, but would burn through the same ammount of sugar. Wouldn't gravity readings at bottling and then pasteurizing tell you how much ABV is raised, if it's even measurable. Unless I'm missing something.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yes, it can be calculated approximately. Each 2.065 grams of extract (sugar) consumed produces 1.000 gram of ethanol. You can certainly calculate the total amount of sugar in the must (from the OG) and know how much you have added but you have to WAG the real degree of fermentation. The data from the yeast supplier should get you a rough estimate of this.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

AJ is spot on quoting the balling observation. Another way to estimate ABV is to calculate an adjusted starting gravity by adding the shift the one can of apple juice concentrate adds. This can usually be figured out from the nutritional information.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply