The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #561
periwinkle1239
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know that barleywine's are not specifically mentioned in the primer but I suppose I would stick with a simple approach. 1 tsp of calcium chloride per 5 gal of water, and then perhaps if you want to enhance some of the bitterness you could use 1 tsp of gypsum as well. I'd say the gypsum would be optional but I would probably use it myself. And then I'm thinking you'll still want to include some acid malt for pH reduction since you're not using roasted malts. Maybe 2%, although I'm not a pH expert.

I invested and started using RO water a few months ago and most certainly notice a difference in a positive way. I stick to the primer for the most part and keep my salt additions simple. I also invested in a pH meter and tried to use it but have struggled with calibration and readings so I've shelved it for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #562
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2046 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 990

I've been searching this thread (and others) trying to find out how much acidulated malt I need for BM's Cream of 3 Crops. This recipe has 5lbs of adjuncts (10gal) do they count towards the total grain bill to get my 2-4% acidulated malt? I asked the guy at my LHBS last night and he had no clue either.

*edit- I use 100% RO incase that matters.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #563
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I "believe" only the roasted grains will pull the pH down and adjuncts would/should just be counted as base grains but I'm far from the expert here

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #564
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow
I "believe" only the roasted grains will pull the pH down and adjuncts would/should just be counted as base grains but I'm far from the expert here
That was my thought as well, but if I'm wrong, I will end up with over 4% acidulated malt in a really light beer.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #565
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow View Post
Dark crystal malts are actually the most acidic malts we brewers use (excepting for acid malt, of course). But for the most part, un-kilned adjuncts like corn and rice can be treated as a base malt with respect to their pH effect.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #566
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard

Dark crystal malts are actually the most acidic malts we brewers use (excepting for acid malt, of course). But for the most part, un-kilned adjuncts like corn and rice can be treated as a base malt with respect to their pH effect.
Thank you sir, that is the answer I needed. I will make sure to let my LHBS know that as well.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #567
NanoMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

[quote=Hermit;4827182]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoMan View Post
The ratios, ppm's. stay the same regardless of volume. I guess if you just want x milligrams in the kettle you could just add it to the kettle.
Saw this when you posted but didn't have time to follow up. I didn't track with your answer though. Isn't the ration, i.e., the ppm, going to change based on how much water is ultamately added to the mash and sparge? Fior example, using the EZ calculator, you estimate total gallons for mashing, and total gallons for sparging. With whatever salts you've added, and I add all of mine into the mash, you get a theoretical ppm based on the total water volume. The mash water volume is easily measured. But let's say my sparge water volume is estimated to be 5 gallons. However, I wind up adding a total of 10 gallons into the mash tun. Are not the resulting ppms lower (diluted)? Maybe I'm not looking at this right.

Cheers!

PS For even more love, look for my newest thread "Where's my bitterness?!"

Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #568
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

[quote=NanoMan;4873163]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post

Saw this when you posted but didn't have time to follow up. I didn't track with your answer though. Isn't the ration, i.e., the ppm, going to change based on how much water is ultamately added to the mash and sparge? Fior example, using the EZ calculator, you estimate total gallons for mashing, and total gallons for sparging. With whatever salts you've added, and I add all of mine into the mash, you get a theoretical ppm based on the total water volume. The mash water volume is easily measured. But let's say my sparge water volume is estimated to be 5 gallons. However, I wind up adding a total of 10 gallons into the mash tun. Are not the resulting ppms lower (diluted)? Maybe I'm not looking at this right.

Cheers!

PS For even more love, look for my newest thread "Where's my bitterness?!"
It isn't kind to hit an old man with a brain teaser after 2 weeks. It doesn't matter if you have 12 or 13 gallons. You figure your ppm for that volume and it doesn't change until you boil some off. So the question is, are you worried about what the numbers are when you mash/sparge or are you worried about the total salts that make it to the brew kettle? My point is you can add a few extra quarts to the process and then just sparge until you have your boil amount. You treat the TOTAL water you put in to get to your ppm for mashing and sparging. If you end up with a couple of extra quarts it doesn't matter. You wouldn't have gotten those sugars out anyhow.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #569
NanoMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well I think you validated my point, which was really just technical. My main point was that the final salts into kettle, which is what I was focused on in this example, is an approximation and the sparge is the greater variable as you can be pretty precise with regards to mash water.

Having said that, it now occurs to me that I can add only mash salts to the mash and then kettle salts AFTER sparging when the volume is known.

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #570
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoMan View Post
Having said that, it now occurs to me that I can add only mash salts to the mash and then kettle salts AFTER sparging when the volume is known.

Cheers!
I actually mentioned kettle additions. No matter. You finally have the answer you were looking for.

Quick Reply