Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #41
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is there a guideline as to the upper limits of sauermalz and lactic acid one would want to add?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #42
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 19

3% sauermalz is subtly beneficial to flavor without any suggestion of sourness whatsoever and I believe Weyermann has on its website a recipe for a Berliner Weiße that calls for 8% (IIRC) so clearly there is some sour perception there. I guess I would not go above 4% without trepidation. As always, your best answer will come from experimentation.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #43
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 126 Posts

First, let me say that the instructions in the original post are very clear. The only ambiguity I saw was,

"For British beers: Add 1 tsp gypsum as well as 1 tsp calcium chloride"

This was clarified later in the thread, and, if I understand it correctly, this is in addition to the baseline that already adds 1 tsp calcium chloride, so it would total 2 tsp calcium chloride and 1 tsp gyspsum. It may make sense to edit the original post to make this completely clear.

The other piece of info I picked up later in the thread is that for 1 tsp we are assuming 5 g. Perhaps the original post should be converted to grams.

Thanks so much for this.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #44
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
First, let me say that the instructions in the original post are very clear. The only ambiguity I saw was,

"For British beers: Add 1 tsp gypsum as well as 1 tsp calcium chloride"

This was clarified later in the thread, and, if I understand it correctly, this is in addition to the baseline that already adds 1 tsp calcium chloride, so it would total 2 tsp calcium chloride and 1 tsp gyspsum. It may make sense to edit the original post to make this completely clear.

The other piece of info I picked up later in the thread is that for 1 tsp we are assuming 5 g. Perhaps the original post should be converted to grams.

Thanks so much for this.
I'm pretty sure it is one of each. Calcium chloride for the baseline PLUS one of gypsum if you wish to accentuate hope bitterness. Yooper posted the sticky from her account so AJ can't do a direct edit.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #45
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4922 Times on 3569 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm pretty sure it is one of each. Calcium chloride for the baseline PLUS one of gypsum if you wish to accentuate hope bitterness. Yooper posted the sticky from her account so AJ can't do a direct edit.
No, but if AJ wants me to edit the post, I'll certainly be willing! I am LOVING this water chemistry primer.

I also appreciate that it's not called "Water Chemistry for Dummies"! This is still quite a bit over my head, but the light is going on mroe and more for me and my last beers, brewed a couple of weeks ago, are definitely "shining" more than before.

One question- I saw a question about the max % of sauermaltz recommended before flavor changes occurred. I also saw the question about lactic acid. I have never used lactic acid to adjust mash pH but one of my friends does. At what point do you get a flavor from the lactic acid?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #46
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I'd certainly like clarification on those questions if possible. My assumption was that for British/Pales we were to add 1 tsp of each (gypsum and cal chl). Also, I've been assuming a tsp of gypsum = 4 grams while a tsp of cal chl = 3.4 grams. Those figures were given in Palmer's book so that's what I've been using personally and what I've given as information in my brew chart. If we're supposed to be assuming something different I'd love to know so that both myself and anyone using my brew chart have the best available info.

Thanks.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #47
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPooley4 View Post
I'd certainly like clarification on those questions if possible. My assumption was that for British/Pales we were to add 1 tsp of each (gypsum and cal chl). Also, I've been assuming a tsp of gypsum = 4 grams while a tsp of cal chl = 3.4 grams. Those figures were given in Palmer's book so that's what I've been using personally and what I've given as information in my brew chart. If we're supposed to be assuming something different I'd love to know so that both myself and anyone using my brew chart have the best available info.

Thanks.

cp
I'm pretty sure AJ has said that the amounts aren't super critical. Think about it. This is just a starting point and doesn't take grain bill into account. In the end, this is cooking and everything is done 'to taste' so to speak. This is where science and art start to merge. You can always just take a teaspoon and measure one out on your scale.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #48
CPooley4
Recipes 

I get that and agree. However, if his assumptions are easily available I'd like to have the correct assumptions is all.

By the way, I wish I was from an alternate universe sometimes myself

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #49
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 544 Posts

The intention was that it would be 1 tsp (5 grams) calcium chloride as the base line. If you wished to emphasize hops (as you would in many British styles) you would add 1 tsp of gypsum in addition to that original tsp of CaCl2.2H2O for a total of 1 tsp of each. But it then goes on to say for minerally beers (such as Burton ales) that you should double the salts (2 tsp of each).

Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #50
CPooley4
Recipes 

Thanks AJ, really appreciate it.

Are you then assuming 5 grams per tsp of Gypsum as well?

I like beer math!

Quick Reply