Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #121
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces

Certainly. I know plenty of folks who have had good success with the sauermalz, but I prefer acid since I don't know the % acid content of my malt and it doesn't store well (for some reason acidulated malt seems to attract weevils at my house).
Kal's method of using 5- or 6-gal buckets and using Gamma Seal Lids to make them nice and airtight is a pretty surefire way of keeping bugs out. Bulk grains get poured directly into the buckets, specialty grains go in labeled Ziplocs, stored in identical buckets.

Edit: after seeing the ajdelange's post, I should add we're talking about almost the same thing. Gamma Seal Lids are standalone versions of the lids that make Vittles Vaults so useful, but IMO are much more cost-effective.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #122
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Any way to determine how much calcium is stripped from using phosphoric acid? I want to experiment with dropping my strike/sparge water down with it. My water has low everything, and I usually only add calcium chloride and sometimes gypsum, along with lactic acid or sauermalz to get to the proper ph. I usually just shoot for 50ppm on the calcium.

My thinking is if I use the phosphoric acid, my only mash/boil addition would be calcium chloride, thus simplifying the whole process.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #123
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
It can be. They're both used simply for pH adjustments... not sure what you're having an issue with.

No issues, just considering p-acid instead the sm.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #124
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Any way to determine how much calcium is stripped from using phosphoric acid? I want to experiment with dropping my strike/sparge water down with it. My water has low everything, and I usually only add calcium chloride and sometimes gypsum, along with lactic acid or sauermalz to get to the proper ph. I usually just shoot for 50ppm on the calcium.

My thinking is if I use the phosphoric acid, my only mash/boil addition would be calcium chloride, thus simplifying the whole process.
bump.

_

Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #125
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Interested in an answer to Wildwest's question and while we're on the topic of Phosphoric acid (and esp regarding the claim that it is 'flavor neutral'), the stuff we use at work stinks to high heaven. Does the stuff used for brewing stink? Or is the question more of whether the phosphate ion is flavor/aroma neutral?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #126
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle
Interested in an answer to Wildwest's question and while we're on the topic of Phosphoric acid (and esp regarding the claim that it is 'flavor neutral'), the stuff we use at work stinks to high heaven. Does the stuff used for brewing stink? Or is the question more of whether the phosphate ion is flavor/aroma neutral?
Star San is mostly phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is also used in many sodas (in pretty high amounts), and I've even seen it in flavored waters. In higher concentrations it contributes an acidic bite, but as far as actual flavor/aroma goes, there's pretty much none to speak of... and definitely not with the relatively low concentrations resulting from simple mash pH adjustment.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #127
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
The stuff I got is only 10%, no discernible odor.

_

Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #128
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:

bump again, no one's going to see this if you guy's keep commenting.

_

Old 06-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #129
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Thanks emjay. I did not know it was used in flavored waters.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #130
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Quote:

I'll be shutting up now WW. Oh but lemme add this; I thought I had read that there is a bunch of phosphate in malt, so much that it dwarfs any amount we might be adding by pH adjustment with phosphoric acid. So adding a bit of phosphoric shouldn't affect the Calcium content much.

Quick Reply