Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Brewing Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
nootay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

sorry to bring this back up. Using this calculator:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

and plugging my numbers in based on what i posted above, my source minerals are:

27 17 3 2.03 .45 0

With this and the target profile "light colored and hoppy", the closest i can come to all green numbers in the difference section is by adding 3 grams of calcium chloride and 7.5 grams of gypsum. Based on what was said earlier, this seems like a lot of gypsum. This is for 8.7 total gallons of water. Is this what you would recommend?

also, can i add all the minerals in with the mash water or do i need add some in the mash, some in the sparge, etc?

thanks again

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i am using calcium carbonate and gypsum. do i add these during the mash or during the boil? Also, for the calcualtor, do i base it off of the total amount of water i use, pre boil volume, or post boil volume?

CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There is still abroad the notion that the 'hoppiness' of beers is controlled by the ratio if sulfate to chloride ion concentration in the mashing liquor. 'Hoppiness' does not represent one degree of freedom. As such you cannot control it by setting one parameter (the ratio) to a particular value. The perception of hops depends on the varieties you use and how you use them (first wort, early kettle, mid kettle, late kettle, knockout, dry hop) and on other factors, including the sulfate level. Sulfate tends to make bitterness (only one aspect of hoppiness) rough, harsh and dry so in general it is a good idea to control sulfate until you are sure you like these effects, which many, but by no means all, drinkers do. This is easy to accomplish. Brew a beer with modest but equal amounts of calcium chloride and calcium sulfate (about half a tsp each in 5 gallons) and, when it is ready to drink, taste it and then taste it again with some additional gypsum added to the glass. Keep doing this as long as you think the additional gypsum leads to improvement in the beer. Use the results you obtain in this way to guide you in deciding how much gypsum to use in the actual mash liquor.

You can add all the salts to the mash water or divide them up. If you have a large enough HLT it is clearly simplest to treat all the water you are going to use and then just draw it as you need it.

If you concentrate all your salts in the mash or in the mash water (a better practice as mixing with the grain is guaranteed) the calcium ion concentration in the mash will clearly be higher than if you divided the salts between mash ans sparge. This will have an effect on mash pH which should be considered.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
i am using calcium carbonate and gypsum. do i add these during the mash or during the boil?
Neither for the carbonate. We don't use that. The gypsum can go in any time as indicated in #13 but adding it to the boil is, IMO, anadvanced technique and you shouldn't do that unless you have a particular reason for doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
Also, for the calcualtor, do i base it off of the total amount of water i use, pre boil volume, or post boil volume?
The total volume of water used.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the info. so today i used calcuim carbonate, thinking i was using calcium chloride. total volume of water was 8.7, final volume was just a bit over 5. i ended up using 1tsp gypsum, 1/2tsp calcium carbonate. the above mentioned calculator states this will create a "highly bitter" beer. i ordered the correct calcium product, calcium chloride, and will be using the right item for my next brew!

im trying to correct an issue with the flavor of my pale ales and ipas that ive had ever since i moved. this is the first time i have tried adjusting the water. all of my pale ales and ipas have very dull hop flavor and bitterness, almost like they are stale. today i made sure i had a nice hard boil in case this was caused by DMS, and also adjusted my water, even thought it was incorrect. do you think my water could cause this effect on hops? ive made a few wheat beers and thought they tasted alright, but anything hoppy is just not good.

CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Try the test described in #13 on one of your dull beers. That should answer your question or at least move you towards an answer.

Quick Reply