Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Black IPA/Cascadian Water Adjustments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
mikefromcu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Black IPA/Cascadian Water Adjustments

Trying to figure out how to get there from here...how do you balance between Residual Alkalinity for a SRM of 25ish while keeping the Chloride to Sulfate ratio down at 0.30 and 0.50?

I assume the target is still Burton-y, but there seems to be an internal conflict there...

Can you do both?
If someone out there gets it, please help and here's my water for Bobby's spreadsheet:
Ca: 72.7
Mg: 27.7
Na: 89.5
Cl: 110
SO4: 214
HCO3: 137.5

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

AJ Delange, the brewing chemist extraordinaire, says to never add alkalinity.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...ty_and_mash_pH

Using only distilled water, and 210 trials, only 4 combinations of grains fell below mash pH range. SRM is not a reliable estimator of mash pH.

So add in ANY amount of alkalinity for your water, and you'll be probably be fine without any additional alkalinity. The only way to know for sure is to measure your mash pH after dough-in. Delange also says that the pH strips commonly available are biased to be -0.3 pH from what a pH meter would read, so a reading of 4.9 would really be 5.2.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 6

edit: dammit remilard caught me posting half asleep again. disregard previous comment

Last edited by thataintchicken; 10-22-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: half asleep

Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

So you would consider the two ideal water sources for IPA to be Bull Run and Burton know that Burton is roughly the opposite of Bull Run in every way? It seems like if those both work well, so does everything in between (all water).

Another problem with pH strips is that they have poor resolution and there is user error. Even if you identify and correct for a bias, I consider the narrow range ones to be not accurate enough for measuring mash pH.

When I used them I found myself trying them under different light sources and basically trying to justify what I thought the pH would be based on spreadsheets. This is dangerous, but it is human nature and we'll all do it. When I figured out what I was doing I bought a pH meter. I now think about water much less and my beer is better.

Quick Reply