Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Birch water/sap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew72AK
I tapped 6 trees, all 10" to 16" diameter. The season is short in AK compared to the maple season back East (2-3 weeks here in Anchorage even shorter in Fairbanks is what I have heard). First sap of the season has more sugar in it but on average is around 80-1 where maple is 40-1 (these are to get to true syrup which I didn't go that far).

At the height the trees push out a gallon a day so things go pretty quick. It sounds like a lot of work but is really not bad and just a bunch of boiling down. I filled my brew kettle with 6-7 galllons of sap and boiled down to 1 gallon put that in a glass jug in the fridge and started again. I took 5+ 1 gallon jugs poured them back in the kettle and boiled it down to the 3 1/2 gallons of concentrate.

Ended up taking a SG reading from the concentrated sap (it was pretty sweet at this point) and added the malt extract that the recipe called for until I hit the right reading which I think was 1.072?

One of the great things that happened was that the guy that owns the brew supply store wanted birch sap to make a mead with so I brought him all of my extra sap and he traded me for hops!

Sorry about not having more detailed info about the actually beer recipe. When it comes to making beer I am not all that good at it and no where near as advanced as the members of this forum.
There are a lot of birch around here but nobody taps them, I've never even heard of it. What do you use to "tap" the tree

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Brew72AK
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They are basically the same taps that maple industry uses. I have ordered online pretty cheap and bought a few local (there are birch syrup makers here).

Page 5 in the link to the pdf in a previous post on this thread has the details on how deep to drill, what trees to tap etc.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

If it were possible to double like a post, I just would have. I had the same question. I will review the PDF in more detail. In Sacred and Healing Herbal beers, or is it Scared and Herbal Healing Beers, I can never remember which way is which, it mentions a 3/4 inch hole being drilled in the trunk, and a quill being driven through it to get about a gallon a day per tree at the peak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply