LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #51
cruelkix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So the take away from all of this:

Cold Crash your yeast at High Kraussen (the recommended time at which to pitch your starter as far as I have ever heard), decant, and pitch.

This makes sure that when you put your yeast into a dormant state that the cells are at their most viable point and that it hasn't run out of Big Macs/Food so none have started dying off. This is assuming that you dont want what is left over from the wort youused for your starter. Personally I use wort from my the actual brew im making the starter for and let my brew sit for 24 hours without yeast in it. Slightly risky for contamination pruposes, but I have had no issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #52
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2957 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
In other words, the yeast should not sit long enough in the fridge to die off in an amount that will impact your fermentation.
Yes, of course that is how we all feel except King of Cascades. He says that there is a 50% die-off in two days, and that there is a source out there that has scientifically shown this to be true. He will submit some evidence to support this soon.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #53
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yes, of course that is how we all feel except King of Cascades. He says that there is a 50% die-off in two days, and that there is a source out there that has scientifically shown this to be true. He will submit some evidence to support this soon.
Oh thanks, I understand now, I must have missed that somewhere.

That is interesting though, I would imagine you could have a 50% die off if you don't take care of the little guys but otherwise I cannot wait to see the article

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Quick Reply