Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Big, big starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
King of Cascade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I always do this to get the yeast to drop hard and then remove the nasty beer from the top before pitching. Might not be so necessary in a stout, but in a german pils I think it is necessary.
I would be worried if the beer from the starter was nasty....why did you pitch the yeast from nasty wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
jaja
Recipes 

I assume he means by nasty that its oxygenated beer and starters fermented at room temp for lagers often have a very fruity smell to them as well. Nothing wrong or bad about that as far as it being a starter you shouldn't use.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #13
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3693 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 3198

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
I would be worried if the beer from the starter was nasty....why did you pitch the yeast from nasty wort?
I don't like the beer produced by my starters. It's fermented at 80, and it's estery. I usually make at least a gallon starter, so there is a bunch of it.

If you like the taste of your starters, by all means dump it in.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #14
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That is a nice website you have there Mike. Good luck with your brewery and when I visit the daughter in San Diego I will check out your brews.

Gary

Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #15
mikefromcu
Recipes 

Thanks Gary. I open this next Wednesday, the 7th.

Yea, to the question earlier about why cold crash - exactly what was stated - I don't want to dump 9 liters of junk, unhopped, warm fermented, wrong grain bill, highly oxygenated beer into my hand crafted wort. That's almost 2.5 gallons of not-what-I-want.

So, I cold crash it to knock the yeast down, decant (actually syphon, it's way cleaner and easier to control) all the "junk" beer on top of the cake, except maybe the last 1/2 or 3/4", the swirl that up and pitch it.

And both beers fermented out great, in fact, that was my first time using 002, usually I'm a 1968 guy, and it tore through the wort and was done in about 3 days.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #16
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I don't like the beer produced by my starters. It's fermented at 80, and it's estery. I usually make at least a gallon starter, so there is a bunch of it.

If you like the taste of your starters, by all means dump it in.
Sorry, no disrespect just trying to find out what your doing. Do you pitch an 80 degree starter in your beer? If so, is your pitch temp lower?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:44 AM   #17
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3693 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 3198

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
Sorry, no disrespect just trying to find out what your doing. Do you pitch an 80 degree starter in your beer? If so, is your pitch temp lower?
Temp is somewhere between fridge temp and ambient (probably closer to the latter).

During the boil, I get the starter out of the fridge and decant onto lawn. An hour or two later, while pumping chilled wort into fermenter, I squirt some of the wort into my decanted yeast, swirl maniacally, and pitch.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #18
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromcu View Post
Thanks Gary. I open this next Wednesday, the 7th.

Yea, to the question earlier about why cold crash - exactly what was stated - I don't want to dump 9 liters of junk, unhopped, warm fermented, wrong grain bill, highly oxygenated beer into my hand crafted wort. That's almost 2.5 gallons of not-what-I-want.

So, I cold crash it to knock the yeast down, decant (actually syphon, it's way cleaner and easier to control) all the "junk" beer on top of the cake, except maybe the last 1/2 or 3/4", the swirl that up and pitch it.

And both beers fermented out great, in fact, that was my first time using 002, usually I'm a 1968 guy, and it tore through the wort and was done in about 3 days.
So you would rather pitch unhealthy yeast that has been starved into dormancy in your beer. When the yeast comes to the end of its cycle a lot of bad things happen to it. Only some of the cells survive the starvation and they begin to mutate. I’m not saying you can’t make beer with that but you might make better beer if you pitch right before the yeast enters the log phase. Of course this means you have to pitch the starter so you might want to consider fermenting cooler then 80 degrees and not letting it complete its cycle. Also make a neutral starter so it doesn’t affect the flavor of the finished product.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #19
mikefromcu
Recipes 

I'm pretty sure that after three days getting fed 02 on a stir plate, then one day in the fridge doesn't starve my yeast into dormancy.

Also, there are two people replying back on this post, me, mikefromcu and Passedpawn. You are mixing and matching our techniques and approaches.

You won't find "80" any where in my posts. Before you start to try and pick a fight (So you would rather...) read more closely. I'm only here trying to help.

The advice and the technique I used was the advice I got directly from White Labs. You think I goofed? Come try my beer. Or take it up with Chris White. Peace out.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:12 AM   #20
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromcu View Post
I'm pretty sure that after three days getting fed 02 on a stir plate, then one day in the fridge doesn't starve my yeast into dormancy.

Also, there are two people replying back on this post, me, mikefromcu and Passedpawn. You are mixing and matching our techniques and approaches.

You won't find "80" any where in my posts. Before you start to try and pick a fight (So you would rather...) read more closely. I'm only here trying to help.

The advice and the technique I used was the advice I got directly from White Labs. You think I goofed? Come try my beer. Or take it up with Chris White. Peace out.
Back off dude…not trying to start a fight. Just want to point out that there is another school of thought. That’s all.

Wow you up tight dude.

Quick Reply