Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Atlanta area water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Default Atlanta area water

I'm in johns creek outside of Atlanta. I'm told by my LHBS that our water is good for brewing but wondering if any Atlanta brewers here add anything to their brew water? Currently using campdens for the chlorine/chloramine but going to get a charcoal filter.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I'm in johns creek outside of Atlanta. I'm told by my LHBS that our water is good for brewing but wondering if any Atlanta brewers here add anything to their brew water? Currently using campdens for the chlorine/chloramine but going to get a charcoal filter.
I have Ward report for Alpharetta if you want it. I was thinking about getting a refresh on it soon. Campden/K-meta is fine, you don't need a filter unless you just want one. The water is damn near pilsner quality around here. I find myself adding salt just enough to get the calcium up past 50ppm and leaving it be after that.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome good to know thanks. So just either campden orcharcoal filter to remove chlorine taste?

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
Awesome good to know thanks. So just either campden orcharcoal filter to remove chlorine taste?
Yes

Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
byounger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brew straight from the tap in east cobb with no problems.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by byounger View Post
I brew straight from the tap in east cobb with no problems.
I'm not sure how Cobb treats their water, but all North Fulton and Forsyth Co. water is treated with chloramine for sanitation purposes. You'd do well to at least hit your water with some campden or k-meta before brewing. I would agree that filtration isn't really needed because the water is very clean and good for brewing, with the exception of the choloramine.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok great thanks all. I am thinking a cheap basic filter like the one on my fridge (just carbon) would be good for removing the chloramine instead of using campdens. The campden isn't hard but I always forget to add more when I refill my HLT for sparging and also it would be cool to keep all chemicals out, just barley water hops and yeast.. Oh and some seaweed too

Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
bctdi
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the carbon filters are good, but not sure if they remove all chlorine / chloramine. It depends on flow rate and what the filter is rated for. So to be sure, I add half a campden tablet with each water addition to my already filtered water. It's extremely cheap insurance and well worth it. I use the bruin water program that gets talked about a lot on hbt, but for most beers below 10 srm, I add a little gypsum and calcium chloride just to get the calcium above 50ppm for yeast health. Those kind of beers are perfect for soft water which is what we have here in the ATL area.

Quick Reply