Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Another "unbalanced" report / question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
squidbait
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another "unbalanced" report / question

Should I not trust this report considering the report shows .69 for the ion balance? I was looking forward to stepping up by brews with some water work, but am stuck. Any help is much appreciated!

water.report.jpg   water.report.2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Something is a bit off in their reporting and the difference between the cation and anion totals is troubling. The fact that they show a big increase in the sulfate from the raw to tap water suggests that they are adjusting pH with sulfuric acid. I'm assuming that there is some sort of mixup in those levels. But given the relatively low ion levels in this Great Lakes water, I'd just go ahead and use it. I'm sure you can find other Detroiters with water test results that can help refine what the true values are more likely to be. Ignore the errors and go ahead and brew.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
squidbait
Recipes 

Ok, thanks for the response. Maybe I will eventually get a third party report as well. Any metro Detroiters out there have any other tips?

Quick Reply