Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Add Mineral Salts to Mash or Boil for flavoring?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
ipscman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Add Mineral Salts to Mash or Boil for flavoring?

I have very soft Oregon water, pH about 7 with negligible hardness. I use "5.2" in the mash. I'm told by the folks that make 5.2 to go ahead and add various mineral salts for flavoring - that these are not redundant because "5.2" is primarily comprised of phosphates, not salts.

So, I want to add some gypsum to an all grain recipe for an Alt bier. Could be for an IPA, Bohemian Pils, etc. The point is that the gypsum (or chalk or epsom salts for other recipes) are NOT being added to effect the pH of the mash. They are being added to impact the flavor, largely hop accentuation.

That being said, I assumed it would make sense to add these to the boil. However, the gentleman at Five Star Chemicals suggests putting them in the mash. I've seen both approaches mentioned in the forums.

Your thoughts, advice, experiences?

Thanks.

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My initial thought is that you adjust water to mimic another region's water profile and to gain the effects that water has on the brewing process. That being said - in any given region, brewer's are using the same water to mash as will end up in the boil. I would prepare my adjusted water and use it for any step necessary - from the mash to any top-offs along the way.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Nablis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Either way will work just fine.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The usual advice is to add an appropriate amount for your mash volume to the mash, and then add the remainder to the boil.

But when you add to the mash, add it in your MLT and not in your strike water kettle. If you add it to the kettle, the temperatures are high enough to cause the salts to precipitate out.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredatwork View Post
If you add it to the kettle, the temperatures are high enough to cause the salts to precipitate out.
Don't you make distilled water by raising the temp of the water/liquid to a point where H2O is precipitated out, leaving solids/other compounds behind?...

Quick Reply