Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > 5.2 stabilizer vs brewing salts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
sorefingers23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5.2 stabilizer vs brewing salts

I'm pretty sure that brewing salts are better than 5.2, but I wanna know how well or how bad 5.2 works compared to brewing salts, I'm interested to try a recipe that I've already done and use 5.2 and compare it to the one with out water adjustments

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I'm interested for you to try that too. Do you have a pH meter to inform you of the efficacy of the 5.2 in doing what it claims vice control and salts-added batches?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 617 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The goals of water treatment in brewing are:
A. Establish proper mash pH
B. Insure adequate minerals for a good, bright wort and yeast health
C. Increase or decrease flavor qualities in the finished beer.

Salts are effective to some extent in A, B and C. 5.2 promises only A but does not deliver.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

AJ is right. 5.2 is bogus. It doesn't work and adds a lot of sodium to your beer.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...p?topic=1125.0

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
AJ is right. 5.2 is bogus. It doesn't work and adds a lot of sodium to your beer.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...p?topic=1125.0
Ditto. 5.2 forces the pH to the right level (sometimes) but it does not provide necessary brewing ions, specifically Calcium but others as well, that are important to the brewing and fermentation processes.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The real question you need to ask yourself, do you really need 5.2?

Plug your water and your next grainbill into Bru'n water and see what it says, i'll bet your close. Also, if you are a little low ... the amylases work better at slightly lower pH's.

Texas is awesome.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Ditto. 5.2 forces the pH to the right level (sometimes) but it does not provide necessary brewing ions, specifically Calcium but others as well, that are important to the brewing and fermentation processes.
5.2 never forces the pH to the right level, as it buffers at 5.7 ish (weakly) and that is too high according to nearly ever source that has addressed the subject.

It may be that the mash happens to be at an acceptable pH despite the use of 5.2.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 617 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
5.2 never forces the pH to the right level, as it buffers at 5.7 ish (weakly) and that is too high according to nearly ever source that has addressed the subject.
It buffers to aroun 5.7 or 5.8 (can't remember and to lazy to go look it up) in distilled water but remember that we theorize that the monobasic phosphate in the malt is supposed to cause a proper ratio of mono to di basic when mixed with the dibasic in the product such that the pH would be correct (5.2 presumably as that's what's on the label). But no one has been able to demonstrate that it does. So perhaps we should say no one has ever seen it force the pH to the right level while many have seen it fail to do so.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
It buffers to aroun 5.7 or 5.8 (can't remember and to lazy to go look it up) in distilled water but remember that we theorize that the monobasic phosphate in the malt is supposed to cause a proper ratio of mono to di basic when mixed with the dibasic in the product such that the pH would be correct (5.2 presumably as that's what's on the label). But no one has been able to demonstrate that it does. So perhaps we should say no one has ever seen it force the pH to the right level while many have seen it fail to do so.
We've touched on this before, but maybe it would "work" on sparge water? In my case, I've thought about it as I have alkaline tap water and use lactic acid (5 ml for 7 gallons) to acidify my sparge water if I'm doing a 10 gallon batch.

What about a tablespoon of the 5.2 buffer in the sparge water instead of the lactic acid? Would that be a chance to use up the leftover jar? At what point does the 5.2 stabilizer impart a flavor?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
We've touched on this before, but maybe it would "work" on sparge water? In my case, I've thought about it as I have alkaline tap water and use lactic acid (5 ml for 7 gallons) to acidify my sparge water if I'm doing a 10 gallon batch.

What about a tablespoon of the 5.2 buffer in the sparge water instead of the lactic acid? Would that be a chance to use up the leftover jar? At what point does the 5.2 stabilizer impart a flavor?
When Kaiser had the sample tested by Ward Labs, his results showed that at the recommended dose, the sample will add 100ppm Na+ to the beer. Depending on your water that could be good or bad.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply