Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > 16% efficiency gain with adjusted water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
gxm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 13% efficiency gain with adjusted water

Inspired by the TH's easy to use spreadsheet, I brewed my first batch with adjustments to the mash.
I've brewed this same recipe with the same procedure 3 times before, just using straight Portland water, and each time I got 78% efficiency. This time, I added 3g each gypsum & CaCl, and my brewhouse efficiency improved to 91%. Before I get too much disbelief on the efficiency number, I don't remove trub, so it is artificially high.
Of course, this is just one data point, so I'm looking forward to repeating the experiment.

I'm wondering if the very low levels of minerals in Portland water may have some effect, as I've never gotten more than 81% on any other beer, and I generally get better efficiency with darker styles.

The recipe for 10g:
15.1# Pils
2# Munich
Mash at 149F for 90 min

Reason: correcting calculation error

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

My efficiency jumped when I started using pH5.2. I have very pure water also.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply