The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Year long blending project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Mcsecne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Year long blending project

I am thinking about doing a blend of 4 batches of 12 months. Every 3 months I would add to the blend equal amounts.
I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon wood barrel to blend in.
My question is, will the head space be a problem for the first 9 months when the barrel isn't full?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yes.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsecne View Post
I am thinking about doing a blend of 4 batches of 12 months. Every 3 months I would add to the blend equal amounts.
I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon wood barrel to blend in.
My question is, will the head space be a problem for the first 9 months when the barrel isn't full?

I might be misinterpreting your plan or perhaps its semantics, but are you thinking of this as a solera project or a blending experiment?

For a solera barrel that size you'd probably want to brew enough to initially fill the barrel full, let that beer go through a primary ferment (for head-space concerns mentioned), fill the barrel, age it, then pull/refill a portion after some time, & keep repeating the pull/refill process to achieve composite blends of aged sour beer.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Mcsecne
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I might be misinterpreting your plan or perhaps its semantics, but are you thinking of this as a solera project or a blending experiment?

For a solera barrel that size you'd probably want to brew enough to initially fill the barrel full, let that beer go through a primary ferment (for head-space concerns mentioned), fill the barrel, age it, then pull/refill a portion after some time, & keep repeating the pull/refill process to achieve composite blends of aged sour beer.
Thanks for the info. I didn't even think of this option. It was not what I was thinking about but will likely do this.

Quick Reply