Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Wyeast 5151-PC Brett c

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
pipapat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Wyeast 5151-PC Brett c

So i have seen a few threads here and there about making all brett c beers.
Anyone had any luck with this?

If so grain bills and finished flavor profiles would be nice.

My local home brew shop just ordered me in a pack and im wondering what too brew with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I had good luck with the White Labs Brett C strain. I did a couple "clones" of Mo Betta Bretta, mostly pils with a bit of Munich/oats/carapils and some acid malt to lower the pH and give the Brett some acid to esterify. Light on the hops. I also did a hoppier mini-saison, pils with some wheat and hopped with a few doses of Mt Hood and Sterling.

I had good luck pushing the WL strain up into the high 70s, but with Wyeast Brett A those same temps gave me lots of rubber. Not sure how their Brett C takes the higher temps, so I would probably keep it around 70 for the first beer. Making a big starter is also important for 100% Brett beers since their growth can be slower than Sacch.

Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

housecat Likes This 
Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

good too know looks like ill be starting a starter this week.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

just did my first brett C beer this weekend. i'll let you know how it goes in the up & coming months. it's funny i thought i used brett B, but i got home and looked and it's brett C. i used white labs, though, not wyeast. the recipe (partial mash) used some crystal and torrified wheat to help feed the brett as well as kiwi's in the primary.

Quick Reply