The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Is it worth doing a true wild fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Is it worth doing a true wild fermentation?

I'm interested in brewing up a plambic. I actually haven't had too many of them, but managed to get a hold of a Cantillon Kriek and it definitely intrigued me. It's not just the beer itself, but the process too, which is why I think it would be really cool to try a truly wild fermentation. The idea isn't to match Cantillon, but certainly is to have something drinkable. Is it worth trying or should I stick with the commercially available "wild" yeast/bacteria?

And, IF I do decide to try it, is a particular time of year any better than any other (I live in SE Mass)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would start out pitching from a culture. At some point I think I might try an open ferment. What ever you decide, good luck!

damn I gotta brew something

Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Most places that say they do "wild" fermentation are doing it in an environment contaminated by the same bugs they've been using for years (and some times centuries).

If you watch the pollen/allergen counts for your area, brew when the mold count is high. But there are always spores in the air.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I'm interested in brewing up a plambic. I actually haven't had too many of them, but managed to get a hold of a Cantillon Kriek and it definitely intrigued me. It's not just the beer itself, but the process too, which is why I think it would be really cool to try a truly wild fermentation. The idea isn't to match Cantillon, but certainly is to have something drinkable. Is it worth trying or should I stick with the commercially available "wild" yeast/bacteria?

And, IF I do decide to try it, is a particular time of year any better than any other (I live in SE Mass)?

Guy in my brew club (he would know, he's the sowah beeah man) says early Spring is the time.
He said chill as normal, then put a window screen over the kettle/wort and leave it out overnight then rack to a carboy and put it in the basement for a year or so.
I'm trying this in a month or so.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What I did was make starter wort and just left that outside for 12 hours or so in a baking dish (maximum surface area) covered by a window screen. It took several days to get going... I just stepped it up today but there seems to be a lacto smell from it. So, if I have to pitch it then that is fine it was only a liter or so of wort.

Last edited by nealf; 03-04-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
noblesquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
Guy in my brew club (he would know, he's the sowah beeah man) says early Spring is the time.
He said chill as normal, then put a window screen over the kettle/wort and leave it out overnight then rack to a carboy and put it in the basement for a year or so.
I'm trying this in a month or so.
I'm surprised he said to chill as normal. If I were to do it, I'd take the hot wort and put it into an innoculation vessel and let it cool overnight (like the Belgian cool ships...)

Brian
BJCP - C0839 Master/Mead Judge

HOPS! Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside

Quick Reply