The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > wooden spoon infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
reverendj1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Airlock activity doesn't mean anything. I haven't seen bubbles at all in several batches, even though they completely fermented. You probably bottled too soon and now you have gushers. I've never had an infection, but from what I understand, most true infections give a sour taste. When I've had gushers before, the CO2 seems to all come from the bottom of the bottle, and push all the yeast and sediment up. That's probably what you are tasting and why some have more of an off-flavor than others.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
ardyexfor
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

To me it looks like the bubbles when you blow through a straw into a glass of chocolate milk. Seems like all that CO2 rushing to escape is your "straw" blowing big cocoa and yeast bubbles. Maybe, maybe not.

Is the "pellicle" there before you open? A pellicle does not form instantly. Taste will be your guide, but I'm not sure if you're familiar with what to look for flavor/funk wise when it comes to this kind of thing either.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I agree that you probably didn't finish fermenting, and the off taste is from the yeast and coco powder being resuspended. Coca has oils regardless of what kind and they take some time to break down usually at least 6-12 months. By when they do it imparts a flavor unlike no other.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I agree with the group think on this. Even your last shot just looks like bubble nucleation. You probably have an over carb'd beer.

Post your recipe and dextrose measurements and we'll help fix the next batch. I've had much more success using cocoa nibs at the secondary rather than coco powder.

Sour Patch Cider | CoCo Quad | The Way it Gose | Saison d'Banjo | Saison The Elder | Dry Irish Stout | 1/2 & 1/2 (Slumbrew My Better Half clone) | Atomic Red | New England Cyser | Thursday Nite Porter | Concord Trippel | CinaGuava Winter Ale | Far East IPA (x4) | Gingered Wheat | Haitian Cream Stout

Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
qmax
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Thanks everyone for your input. I think you may be right that it's not an infection after all. But all this gunk in suspension is terrible nevertheless. If I'll ever use cocoa powder again I'll make sure to give it a full 90 minute boil. Maybe it would be a good idea to add it to the mash so that I can filter it through the grain bed.

Quick Reply