Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP665 in Primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
What's in the fermenter currently... I could always make a second one and blend if necessary.
Okay then, American Golden Sour!
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Azurecybe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A stout! Tart of Darkness anyone? I'll probably rebrew a Flanders red and pitch on the cake of my current Flanders once it starts to taste done.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately school has been getting a bit crazy these past few weeks so I didn't have time to brew up anything to pitch onto the yeast before racking. As a bonus, I have funky pellicle pictures (please tell me this is normalish and not just a raging mold infection).

Beer has a good sour aroma to it, but no real sourness in the taste yet (a bit of funk, but still fairly clean). Now that it's in secondary I'll let it ride for another 10 months or so and keep you guys posted.

One last question - gravity was 1.014 at sampling and I'd like to get it down to less than 1.010 or thereabouts. The bacteria/brett should keep dropping the gravity by munching on the sugars, yes? I mashed at 154 to make sure they had some good long chains. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Looks like mold to me. A healthy pellicle is always in the white-tan spectrum. Might be good to move it to a fermentor that is easier to seal, (e.g., carboy or better bottle).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Looks like mold to me. A healthy pellicle is always in the white-tan spectrum. Might be good to move it to a fermentor that is easier to seal, (e.g., carboy or better bottle).
Crap. I racked it over to a glass carboy (much less headspace) 4 days ago - what should I do if the mold returns? And I know it's hard to say for sure without having actually seen it, but does it look like the mold was forming it's own pellice, or more so that the mold formed on the top of an extant pellicle? If I squint I can see a nice yellow-tan surface under the green and white stuff...

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 74

So hard to tell. Mold needs oxygen, any chance you have a kegging system and could flush the headspace with CO2? Make sure the airlock stays filled, and the stopper is snug. If it still returns it is probably something else. How did it taste/smell?

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Wingy Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
So hard to tell. Mold needs oxygen, any chance you have a kegging system and could flush the headspace with CO2? Make sure the airlock stays filled, and the stopper is snug. If it still returns it is probably something else. How did it taste/smell?
I'll try to flush the headspace with C02 - taste was fine (nothing too funky/sour, but it hadn't been aging that long) and smell was similar to Brett C/some sort of bug with prominent lactic acid and not too much acetic. There's some stringy tan bits floating around, but I'm not too worried about those... could be Pedio, yeast, or some other fun stuff. Hopefully I'll have a new pellicle in a few weeks and I'll post a picture then.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Racking over to a glass carboy has solved the mold problem! For the first few weeks after racking, there was a pellicle/kraeusen(ish) thing that formed on top of the beer (it was tan-colored and about 0.5cm thick), but that has dropped and is being replaced by a slightly opaque/whitish (the flash in the photo makes it look much whiter than it is) film on the surface.

Any ideas on what the film is? I'm not worried that it's anything bad, just hoping to build up my "field guide to sour beer pellicle" knowledge.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Crayfish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I realize the OP is from November, but for what it is worth I started 2 beers in early December with WLP655.

#1 is an Oud Bruin. I only pitched WLP655. After 2 weeks transferred to secondary
#2 is a WIt. I used WYeast Belgian Wit for primary. After 2 weeks transferred to secondary and then pitched WLP655.

Tasted both a few days ago and #1 is very sour. #2 tastes most notably like a wit with a little funkiness to it.

Both currently have very thin pellicles, hardly noticable. They have looked this way the entire time. They are being stored in a closet at roughly 72 degrees.

Quick Reply