New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP665 Flemish Ale Blend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #21
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurecybe View Post
Amanda K, I like that recipe. Looks deceptively simple, but should be awesome.
It's a recipe I tweaked a bit from Vinnie @ Russian River for his Supplication (sour brown in pinot noir barrels on black currants). I'm hoping for something half as good!

I do a single infusion mash, will probably be shooting for 155-156 for this one. High enough to ferment it with US-05 down to around 1.020, then rack for the souring.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
chiaroscuro
Recipes 

Why not just primary with the WL 665? Seems like the US-05 would eat up a lot and extend the souring time period.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #23
Azurecybe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's been 8 months or so and I'm getting anxious. Both the Red and the Bruin have thick and nasty-looking pellicles still going strong. I had planned to bottle in July but with the warmer temps in my basement it looks like the bugs arent yet done.

They both smell like they should (lots of lactic, no aceto) but I'm not sure if they are sour enough yet. I might rack the Red into another container and bottle when the acetic acid gets to the right level.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I scored 37/36/36 last week in a local sour contest for my Flander's Brown with a very basic brown recipe and WLP 665 as the only yeast in primary fermentation. Didn't place, but I'm happy with the scores!

Primary #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cranberry Cider
Primary #2 - Smoked Vidalia Onion Beer
Primary #3 - Schwartzbier
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - EMPTY!
Keg #2 - EMPTY!
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 06-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
nofootbreak
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed my Flanders Red on 11/23/2012 and tasted it 6 months in. I pitched it straight with wlp665 and dregs from a bottle of Avery Oud Floris.

It tasted great. Pretty damn lactic, a good horsey brett funk and a thick mouthfeel probably due the fairly high gravity. Gravity reading was 1.017. No noticeable acetic acid. Probably will take over a year total to get down to gravity but it tasted quite promising.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
MrOrange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Pellicle shot of my 8 month old low gravity Oud Bruin. Pitched US-05 and WLP665 together in primary. Smells slightly acetic but not overwhelming by any means.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #27
zendog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofootbreak View Post
I brewed my Flanders Red on 11/23/2012 and tasted it 6 months in. I pitched it straight with wlp665 and dregs from a bottle of Avery Oud Floris.

It tasted great. Pretty damn lactic, a good horsey brett funk and a thick mouthfeel probably due the fairly high gravity. Gravity reading was 1.017. No noticeable acetic acid. Probably will take over a year total to get down to gravity but it tasted quite promising.
I too brewed the same thing on 1-6-13 and it is only slightly tart, but has the brett funk going on. Secondary started at 1.020, it is now at 1.016. Unlike you guys, I have almost no pellicle, just a little crud along the edge and some surface bubbles. Then again, I have just a little head space and it's in glass with a rubber stopper/airlock, so little oxygen contact. I'll let it go at least another 6 months.

I have 8 lbs of frozen sour cherries I want to add to it, not sure if I should add it now or later. Also, I would have to add it to a bucket for added volume. Will this allow too much oxygen? And how long on the cherries.... Any thoughts?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
Azurecybe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My pellice dropped a few weeks ago. I'm busy for the rest of the weekends this month but I plan to bottle a lot of sour in September. The nose is spot on. I have decided against racking the Flanders Red to get aceto character. It may be considered to have a flaw with no acetic acid but I'm not too worried.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #29
nofootbreak
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any updates?

My sour red is still sitting at the same gravity of 1.017 6 months after my last sample, just wondering where other people are at. This beer tastes ready but I am a bit surprised the gravity is still so high after a year, and that it hasn't changed in 6 months.

I did use 12% caramel malts, a mash temp of 160 and a 2hr boil so that could explain why the gravity is still high. I suppose some body in a beer like this wont be a bad thing, but its just under 5% abv as is, and I was expecting it to be about 6%.

Thinking Ill just throw some oak in there and let it go until theres a hint of oak character where I want and bottle.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
zendog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I checked mine after 9 months and it is at 1013, down 3 more points in 4 months. It is taking on a nice winey essence but still needs more acidity. Will check again after the first of the year. I'm still on the fence about adding cherries..

I added 1 oz of oak cubes when I transferred to secondary; I wonder if this created an environment for additional Brett propagation. Perhaps you should add the oak and give it more time?

Quick Reply