New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Bandit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix

This is my first sour/funky brew, so I thought I would just jump in and try it. My base brew is a Belgian Dubbel, because this is what I have ready. The primary yeast was WYeast 3787, O.G. was 1.076, S.G. is now at 1.012. I plan to take 1 gallon and then add the WLP655. Is it better to use an airlock or just foil over the carboy opening? What is the recommended fermentation temperature range for WLP655? Should I expect to see a pellicle to form? How do you determine when to bottle? Any other words of advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

An airlock is a good idea, some people do foil for short periods, but you risk the beer turning to vinegar. Sours can age anywhere from 60-80 F, lower temps take longer but tend to give a more balanced result.

Pitching now when the gravity is low and the alcohol is high will probably make for a mildly sour beer. You may or may not see a pellicle, don't worry either way.

Just like any other beer bottle when the gravity is stable, although in this case it should be stable for say a month. I would wait at least six months before checking, it will take a bit for the bugs to really get to work.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Bandit

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the reply Oldsock. Exactly the information I was looking for. Your blog, themadfermentationist, has been encouraging me into trying these types of brews.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you're looking for a strong sour characteristic you might need to add some "unfermentables" (like malto-dextrine) for the bugs to work hard. Pitching the bugs at 1.012 doesn't seem like it's giving them a lot of food for a pronounced sour taste. I could be mistaken, though, but i likes 'em big sour.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Quick Reply