Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #641
PghMakesMeDrunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Crap, I wish I had done a little more research on this strain and the starter needed before I jumped into my first all Brett beer.

I thought it looked a little different from other wlp vials as there was not as much sediment in the bottom as there usually is. I didn't think much of it til today.

I brewed a 50% Belgian Pale, 50% Wheat beer yesterday, 1.053 OG. Hopped with all Nelson Sauvin to about 40 IBU's. I pitched 2 vials of 644 right into the carboy. It's been about 20 hours & I have zero activity. Guess all I can do is wait & see what happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #642
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Well my grossly under pitched beer I ended up tossing! Personally, I would suggest throwing in a vial of a Belgian yeast of some kind but not sure if that will help by the time you get it and tore it in. Not sure as I haven't done more than 2 full Brett beers but good luck!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #643
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghMakesMeDrunk View Post
Crap, I wish I had done a little more research on this strain and the starter needed before I jumped into my first all Brett beer.

I thought it looked a little different from other wlp vials as there was not as much sediment in the bottom as there usually is. I didn't think much of it til today.

I brewed a 50% Belgian Pale, 50% Wheat beer yesterday, 1.053 OG. Hopped with all Nelson Sauvin to about 40 IBU's. I pitched 2 vials of 644 right into the carboy. It's been about 20 hours & I have zero activity. Guess all I can do is wait & see what happens.
Two vials should be plenty. It will work. Just give it time. I did a standard starter for my 100% Brett Trois beer - just like any ale strain - and it turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made.

RDWHAHB
People Like This 
Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #644
PghMakesMeDrunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Two vials should be plenty. It will work. Just give it time. I did a standard starter for my 100% Brett Trois beer - just like any ale strain - and it turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made.

RDWHAHB
Yeah, it seemed to pick up last night and is going good now. I'm just not used to that much lag time.

I still have 1 vial of 644 Im planning to use with something else. I will definitely make a starter with that first. I'm gonna have this cake too, I was thinking about a Fruit Beer maybe when this is done.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #645
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

any had issues with acetone aroma/mild flavor with this strain?

I have a ~ 2month old berliner weisse (no boil) that I soured the wort for a few days in a corny and then pitched a large starter of Trois and it has a nose/taste of acetone. My starter for my upcoming Trois XPA has the same nose on it as well

Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #646
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghMakesMeDrunk View Post
Yeah, it seemed to pick up last night and is going good now. I'm just not used to that much lag time.

I still have 1 vial of 644 Im planning to use with something else. I will definitely make a starter with that first. I'm gonna have this cake too, I was thinking about a Fruit Beer maybe when this is done.
I'm guessing if you have been doing your homework since your last pitch you know this, but just make sure you give your starter a long period of time to grow. I believe it is usually about 20 something days that was suggested from Chad Yakobson from Crooked stave. There are I guess three stages of growth in brett growth. Interesting stuff!
Good luck with your one batch, hopefully it will turn out better than mine did!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #647
metic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
any had issues with acetone aroma/mild flavor with this strain?

I have a ~ 2month old berliner weisse (no boil) that I soured the wort for a few days in a corny and then pitched a large starter of Trois and it has a nose/taste of acetone. My starter for my upcoming Trois XPA has the same nose on it as well
I've had a few starters that smelt like this, but never a finished beer (so far). If you look at Chad Yakobson's research, he found that some strains of brett produce higher levels of ethyl acetate when pitched into pre-soured wort (see here, p.20, 32), so that might explain what you're seeing. I would give it more time though, as these flavours might dissipate or be further modified by the brett.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #648
adrock430
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Acetone smell is ethyl acetate and sure fire evidence of acetobacter infection. Limiting air contact is key to preventing this, as alcohol is converted by acetobacter into acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. The acetate will then react with some ethanol, making ethyl acetate.

If the acetone is real bad you can blend. It's pleasant and fruity at lower concentrations. Doesn't really age out tho, at least not after a year in my experience.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #649
Petekiteworld
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Just put together an all citra wheat APA with all brett trois. Made a quick starter for 5 days then pitched, had activity in the fermentor in 12hrs. Bubbling away steadily at 72, blowoff smells delicious!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #650
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

One gallon of 1800 Whitbread London Porter.
The Durden Park recipe says"quality ale yeast", doesn't get much more quality than BBT

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply