Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #611
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

anyone used this strain as the primary strain for a berliner weisse? added any fruit?

1st attempt with be an XPA and would like to use it as the primary strain for a berliner as well (likely sour mash method but TBD), possibly with fruit added to some/all of the batch - will likely wait to taste to decide which fruit to add but curious if anyone has prior experiences

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #612
hallebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
anyone used this strain as the primary strain for a berliner weisse? added any fruit?

1st attempt with be an XPA and would like to use it as the primary strain for a berliner as well (likely sour mash method but TBD), possibly with fruit added to some/all of the batch - will likely wait to taste to decide which fruit to add but curious if anyone has prior experiences
I recently racked a sour beer fermented with Trois onto 4lbs of underripe plums to age for a bit. Final results aren't in but samples tasted good.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #613
whatisboom
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

I was just thinking this as I was reading through the thread. Although my previous BW batches have been almost too good to modify.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #614
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisboom

I was just thinking this as I was reading through the thread. Although my previous BW batches have been almost too good to modify.
My buddy only does lacto/Brett bw's and they are phenomenal. With the right fruit additions its a whole new beast. Lactos better than sour mashing and Brett adds way more complexity than any sacch strain.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #615
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisboom
Recipe and process, por favor?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #616
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:

I did with mulberries and home made lacto. The Brett helped carry the flavour a lot, but I feel the home cultured lacto may have been the down fall of the brew.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #617
whatisboom
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher
Recipe and process, por favor?
70/30 2-row/white wheat
~1.030
Mashed low
15 minute boil
No hops
Pitched a 2 liter Wyeast 5335 lacto starter (crashed and decanted)
2 weeks just lacto (I like it sour)
Pitched 1007 even though it was near terminal gravity

Was kind of bland so I pitched Brett Lambicus for ~3 months. 5 gallons plain, other 5 gallons got 9lbs of unpasteurized bing cherries

Both were/are absolutely amazing. The cherry half is INSANELY tart. I love it.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #618
loftybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just drank a cider that I made with this strain. Rather dry but with that slight sweetness that preserves the apple flavor. Flocc'ed 2 days after kreusen subsided. I am trying different yeasts for cider and so far, interestingly, Brett trois is my favorite.
I have so far used this strain in cider, a double IPA, and a strong dark mild ale (in conjunction with brett A from Mo Betta dregs).

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #619
andrewcoopergt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftybrewer View Post
I have so far used this strain in cider, a double IPA, and a strong dark mild ale (in conjunction with brett A from Mo Betta dregs).
This is actually a perfect spot for me to ask my question. For everyone who has successfully done an IPA or hoppy pale with this strain, how long are you letting it age before you keg/bottle?

I ask because I just did a hoppy citra pale ale with 100% Brett Trois. I let it sit for six weeks to make sure most/all fermentation had stopped. I kegged it yesterday, and after tasting a sample, am incredibly disappointed. At about 3 weeks it was incredible, with intense citrus and extremely clean. Now it seems to have lost almost all of it's hop flavor and really just isnt very good.

Any useful tips out there?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #620
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Dry hop it? Most ipas that I have seen recipes for with 100% Brett are dry hopped right before packaging. That's what I did for my ipa with Brett. Turned out awesome! Let it sit in primary for about 4 weeks. Cheers

Quick Reply