Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #581
kaips1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy
Just went to my LHBS and they said that this strain isn't currently available from White Labs. How can I get some? I'm a little leery of ordering some from an online shop if it's true that White Labs isn't making it available and it might just be old stock.
They are making it, they may have been on a wait when your store tried to order it. Even old stock can be revived, well honestly since most of them are probably held in a fridge the older the stock the faster Brett dies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #582
McCoy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't think I have a bad relationship there at least. The shop keepers are super friendly and seem to have a good relationship with everyone. I've actually been pretty blown away by how friendly their staff is. I also don't really see any reason they would have to not want to sell it to me.

Anyhow, MoreBeer does have it. The shipping is as much as the yeast itself, but an extra $6 isn't going to kill me.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #583
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
Pitched that into another Brett Trois IPA last weekend and will see how the actual beer fares. With that beer I used no oxygen again and barely shook the fermenter, so not much in the way of air in there. I will report back on that later as well to see if this starter resulted in a more acetic beer, but I suspect it will not, that it will end up like the other beers I've made with this yeast.
since i also doubt you'll get a more acetic beer (as i don't get acac with a big aerated starter and highly oxygenated wort) but i'm curious if you will notice anything else different, ie. if there is a different overall fruity profile with vs. without oxygen.

on that note, i just made a second batch, same ipa recipe as my first except no oxygen this time, but due to scheduling abnormalities i had to pitch the entire stirplate starter, which is now almost 10% of by beer volume, and that starter was quite funky! more 'normal' brett funk than the acetic smell that i have had in brett starters. curious how this one comes out. i bet fruity and not funky.

cheers
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #584
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
since i also doubt you'll get a more acetic beer (as i don't get acac with a big aerated starter and highly oxygenated wort) but i'm curious if you will notice anything else different, ie. if there is a different overall fruity profile with vs. without oxygen.

on that note, i just made a second batch, same ipa recipe as my first except no oxygen this time, but due to scheduling abnormalities i had to pitch the entire stirplate starter, which is now almost 10% of by beer volume, and that starter was quite funky! more 'normal' brett funk than the acetic smell that i have had in brett starters. curious how this one comes out. i bet fruity and not funky.

cheers
I bet the same. I haven't experienced any funk with this yeast in primary.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #585
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 687 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
In mid September, I will be brewing a Saison that I will split into 4 fermenters and will pitch the four Brett strains that White Labs has so that I can see what character each gives for 100% Brett beer so that I can learn their character.
that sounds like an awesome experiment. please let us know how it goes, i'd love to hear of your results.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #586
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
that sounds like an awesome experiment. please let us know how it goes, i'd love to hear of your results.
I'll report back for sure, but obviously it will be some time before I have anything to post. I'll start a new thread for that one.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #587
chadkarol
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

To add to an interesting thread, I brewed a French Saison using Wyeast 3711. I then transferred it to a wine barrel that had white wine it in and let it sit about a month. Yesterday I transferred it to a carboy, added pureed cherry and WLP644. No idea what's going to happen, which is why I love brewing.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #588
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
I don't think I have a bad relationship there at least. The shop keepers are super friendly and seem to have a good relationship with everyone. I've actually been pretty blown away by how friendly their staff is. I also don't really see any reason they would have to not want to sell it to me.

Anyhow, MoreBeer does have it. The shipping is as much as the yeast itself, but an extra $6 isn't going to kill me.
If you're ordering just one thing I generally find Rebel Brewer to have the best price/shipping combo.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #589
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I just transfered my wlp644 DIPA (citra, Galaxy, Zythos) after 4.5weeks. I'll now DH it for few days before bottling. The aroma is awesome. Peach, mango, pineapple, apricot, the taste is fine, but there's definitly a funky side. Not sour at all, but there's a woody-smoky-leathery flavor behind the fruit. It isn't bad at all but I would have expected something more clean. I'll see when it's bottled, carbed and chilled!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #590
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux View Post
I just transfered my wlp644 DIPA (citra, Galaxy, Zythos) after 4.5weeks. I'll now DH it for few days before bottling. The aroma is awesome. Peach, mango, pineapple, apricot, the taste is fine, but there's definitly a funky side. Not sour at all, but there's a woody-smoky-leathery flavor behind the fruit. It isn't bad at all but I would have expected something more clean. I'll see when it's bottled, carbed and chilled!
I tasted again.. and it's not that smoky after all.. it's more like a spicy phenolic with a dry woody finish. Combined to the alcool kick (9%), it might be percieved a bit solvent-like, at first... Do you know where it could come from? Too much oxygen? Fermented too hot? (from 72 to 77)

Quick Reply