Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #351
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just thought I'd share that in a recent competition we scored a 36 with a 100% brett trois IPA (palisade, citra & galaxy) in Cat23. Sadly, it didn't land a medal in the mini-BOS tho. I preferred the cleaner brett brux portion of this batch (15gals: 1/3 trois, 1/3 brux, 1/3 both), but the high fruitiness of the trois went really well with the hops. tons of tropical fruit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #352
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1
Brewed up a simple NZ pale ale (...again, just love how the subtle hints of tropical citrus pairs with this bretts mango and pineapple esters)

3gal Batch
4pds 2-row
1 pd Munich
.5 Carapils
4oz cane sugar (BIAB, sugar used to hit target gravity of .048 due to low efficiency.)

.5oz 13% Pacific Jade @FWH (38IBU)
.25oz Motueka 7.5% @15 (5IBU)
.25oz Motueka 7.5% @3 (1IBU)

Sample tasted like golden graham cereal
Pitched jar from last batch about 2 months ago, brought to room temp, decanted and pitched about 30ml of thick slurry. Airated by shaking.
Will report back!
I made a Brett Trois batch with Motueka hops last summer. It was spectacular. Those NZ hops and this strain seem to really complement each other. I should plan on making something similar this year.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #353
NcBrewer35
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamb0056 View Post
I wonder then if the difference is aerobic vs anaerobic (or at least 02 depleted) environments. I seem to remember reading somewhere that many Brett species produce more funky acids & esters under anaerobic conditions. Can anyone confirm this?
I believe you are correct, I think this is in the "Wild Brews" book.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #354
loctones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkysaint
Hey, quick question: most people seem to be using wlp644 as a primary strain (which is what WL indicates), but you added it to secondary. I just added it to a Quad/Imperial Saison (somewhere between 13-14% abv) and was wondering about your experience with it so far.

I've read your post that indicated a mild hay and leather aroma, but not much flavor. That was a couple of months ago. Anything change?
folkysaint PM'ed me and was okay with me replying in the thread. As far as aroma and flavor contribution are concerned, things haven't changed much. My beer is an old ale, and the brett took it down from 1.021 to 1.009. The brett has been in the beer for almost 8 months, now. As expected, the mouthfeel is pretty thin and the flavor is not great. I ended up adding some oak in hopes that it can add a bit more mouthfeel to the beer--it helped on an over-attenuated barleywine I made a couple of years ago.

In general, I think that it might not have been a great idea to add this to an old ale, but I'm going to give the beer another 6 months and see how it turns out. As far as extra attenuation is concerned, the brett has done it's job, and it is, so far, not dominating the beer. In secondary, this yeast may be helpful in adding extra attenuation without heavy amounts of typical brett characteristics. I think it might work very well in drying out a big saison.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #355
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I can concur about the use in secondary. It lends a very mild "Brett" character that is more to the stone fruit flavors rather than the barnyard. The intensity of flavor is restrained and gives just a hint that the beer is a Farmhouse style beer with a mixed fermentation.

It is a stark contrast to the huge intensity of fruit it produces as a primary strain.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #356
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty
I can concur about the use in secondary. It lends a very mild "Brett" character that is more to the stone fruit flavors rather than the barnyard. The intensity of flavor is restrained and gives just a hint that the beer is a Farmhouse style beer with a mixed fermentation.

It is a stark contrast to the huge intensity of fruit it produces as a primary strain.
Agreed almighty. In fact, my Golden Strong with a split Brett Drei/ECY 09 primary is too fruity for my taste. It overwhelms the beer.

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #357
folkysaint
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up adding it to my "Imperial Saison" (for lack of a better term). I didn't want to overwhelm with funk (as this is my first Brett beer). I also had some flavors from pomegranate molasses and the primary yeast that I wanted to remain as well.

Looking forward to seeing what the 644 does with it.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #358
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkysaint
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up adding it to my "Imperial Saison" (for lack of a better term). I didn't want to overwhelm with funk (as this is my first Brett beer). I also had some flavors from pomegranate molasses and the primary yeast that I wanted to remain as well.

Looking forward to seeing what the 644 does with it.
It's the "nice" part about the Drie strain: I can't foresee any environment in which it will overwhelm a beer with traditional "Brett character."

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #359
lunshbox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This past weekend I bottled my all-brett saison that used trois. It finished out at 1.001. It is dry, but the overwhelming fruit character more than compensates. I also dry-hopped a portion of it with Citra and Amarillo. It was almost too much to handle.

I used pale malt and a malt called "heritage" that is almost like a Munich. I added flaked oats to give the brett something to chew on.

I want to see how this ages. I have 4 bottles marked in 6 month increments that will be cellared for testing.

One everything is carbed up, I will be willing to set up a bottle exchange.

Kegged: Mill Worker's Breakfast Base
Planned: Pure-T Pale with Citra, G-Town Brown 2.1, Muddy Banks Irish Red

Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #360
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Great thread!

Ordered this strain and intend to make an IPA, using a little different grain bill.

Here's what I intend, for 27 liters. Thoughts?

Castle Pale 68.8%
Flaked wheat 18.8%
Crystal 50 6.3%
flaked oats 6.3%

1.067 OG
53.9 ibus

Apollo 30 grams FWH 90 minutes

35 grams each of Chinook, Kohatu (NZ Amarillo from what I understand) and Citra at knock out.

25 grams of Chinook, Kohatu and Citra for dry hops.

I intend to make a decent sized starter, thinking 2 or 3 steps with a stirplate. Intend to maybe NOT aerate the beer as I don't want to increase acetic acid. Mash @ 155, ferment in the mid 70s. 100% Brett. Drink youngish, at 7 weeks, on draft. I don't really want any funk, just looking for that heavy fruit I've been reading about.

Thoughts on any of this?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by MattHollingsworth; 03-27-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added details

Quick Reply