Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #331
WilliamWS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

good to hear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #332
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWS View Post
Just to be clear, any sacc in your beer?
Not unless I somehow cross contaminated the beer.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #333
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
30% Pils (4lbs)
22.5% Vienna (3lbs)
15% Malted Wheat (2lbs)
7.5% Munich (1lb)
7.5% Malted Rye (1lb)
7.5% Rolled Oats (1lb)
9% Crystal 55 and Honey Malt, because I had a little of each left over from other beers.

Hops are an equal parts blend of Pacific Jade/Cascade/Amarillo
45g (15g each) @ 15 minutes
45g flameout
45g dry hop
Update on the above batch brewed 9-Dec. After a few weeks in the States for the holidays, I returned on 4-Jan and removed the fruit. That was quite the mess, because on 17-Dec I removed the blow-off tube prior to traveling. It built up a fair amount of pressure. I had vented it quickly with a gas connection, then immediately opened the lid. As soon as I broke the seal it started gushing. I believe I lost a pint in the whole process. Eventually vented it, removed the fruit bags, and added the dry hops.

I just removed those after 3 days and took a sample cup. Wonderful tropical fruit aroma, there is definitely apricot in there, but it's not a dominant element. It has a sweet white wine like aroma as well - not boozy, but sweet. The taste is again all tropics. The hop blend melds well with the rest. No dominant hop flavors stand out. Apricot is stronger in the flavor than in the aroma, but again not too overt. The bitterness is balanced, which is to say not noticeable, but not missing. There is a little prickly tartness, could be Brett based and could also be from the CO2 in solution from the fruit fermentation under pressure. Force carbing to the final level may accentuate the tartness and bitterness a little more. Mouthfeel is what I wanted from adding the rye. Decent body. A little coating on the outer edges of the mouth, but dry on the tongue. There is no astringency in this one which did develop in the original batch. I assumed that was from the whole fruit skins and pits used.

We'll see after a few weeks, carb'ing, and serving, but the only thing I might change is to increase the bitterness. I wouldn't include a bitterness charge still. But I might move the 15min addition to 20min or include a hot stand to draw some from the flameout addition or simply increase all additions (that's the most likely one). With White Labs making this a year-round strain, this will be a repeat brew in this house.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #334
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWS View Post
Anyone else have any issues with carbonation? I'm bottling a 9.7% RIS brewed with 100% Trois in the next couple of days. Anybody with much experience with Trois think I'll have carb issues without repitching?
I actually did experience long conditioning times. I tried the first bottle at 20 days and it was under carbed and tasted like I had bottled it 3 days prior it was quite odd. However, I have had this problem with my last 3 brett beers so it probably my process or just the temp of my basement.

At 8 weeks it was effervescent and fully conditioned, however I am not a huge fan of the beer at this point. I agree with Smokinghole's assessment of this strain in a low gravity wort. Maybe my 1.065 IPA will be better.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #335
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2173 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 2148

Gah! I'm brewing a brown wheat beer, 1.060 OG, and going to pitch Trois. I'm not sure I've ever used more than 6 ozs of hops in a beer before. Planning on 4 oz Amarillo, 2oz Citra, 1 oz Nelson at 5 minutes, then chilling to 170ish and stir-pooling with the same.

Good idea? Bad? About 45 minutes left on the boil, so I guess it's too late to turn back now.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #336
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

with that much Citra and Amarillo, I would drink i even if you fermented it with bread yeast

Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #337
loctones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I took a sample of my Old Ale with 644 added to secondary tonight. It's had the 644 in secondary for a total of 6 months. Gravity was 1.021 when I pitched the brett, and it's down to 1.010 now. There was a heavy solvent aroma when I tried it a couple months ago, which has subsided for the most part. The brett characteristics are still pretty minor. I get a leather aroma which fades in about 10 minutes, and a very minor hay-like aroma. Flavor contributions aren't much, so far. For this beer, the 644 in secondary doesn't seem to be adding too much, other than attenuating the beer further.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #338
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ok, so 18 days ago I brewed a saison'ish beer into which I pitched 644. I took a sample today, and its right at 1.014. I sort of expected it to be a little drier! Here's the grain bill: 5lb pils, 1lb wheat malt, 1lb rye, 1lb 6 row, 1lb flaked oats, 12oz Munich and 8oz aromatic....complex, I know. I mashed at 150.

I didn't account for the 90min boil, so I ended up adding about a gallon of water to 1.072 wort to get to 1.060, and I pitched a big healthy starter. Fermentation was mostly in the low 70's, and it took off wildly within 12 hours,

Should I expect this to attenuate any further? There's no krausen left, but some weird looking floaties hanging around the top.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #339
WilliamWS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From what I saw in my RIS I'd guess you'll probably get 1-2 points lower...just a guess.
Mine went from 1.094 to 1.034 in under 3 days, seemed fairly stable at 1.023 after 2 weeks. But over the course of another four weeks dropped to 1.020 where it stayed.
I bottled at 8 1/2 weeks. Waiting for it to carb now, can't wait. It was delicious out of the fermenter, very similar to JP Madrugada Obscura. I was really surprised how tart it got (but then again I added a ton of O2 before pitching, like I would have if using sacc on a wort this big).

Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #340
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar View Post
Should I expect this to attenuate any further? There's no krausen left, but some weird looking floaties hanging around the top.
I have a one gallon jug of a small batch sitting here with little I-shaped bits that appeared a few days after krausen fell. It's some sort of odd growth that brett beers get. It happens in starters I make too. I pulled some brett out of a bottle of Goose Island Matilda. Tart as a motherf-er after a few weeks at room temp. The little floaties appear and disappear from time to time. After a good meal, I pass a little gas too sometimes. It's not bad manners, just good food. Perhaps Brett is just relaxing after a nice meal.

Quick Reply