Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #291
mhenry41h
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's definitely not a bad thing, but I have a feeling that people who don't know the unique ester profile of this Brett will be making something different than what they expect if "traditional Brett" flavors are what they were expecting. At first I was really reminded of Victory's Golden Monkey (note: brewers who haven't used your vial yet - I did a mixed fermentation with a Belgian Sacc strain). It's changing, for the better in my mind, with time. It's been in the bottle 2 months.

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #292
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry41h View Post
It's definitely not a bad thing, but I have a feeling that people who don't know the unique ester profile of this Brett will be making something different than what they expect if "traditional Brett" flavors are what they were expecting. At first I was really reminded of Victory's Golden Monkey (note: brewers who haven't used your vial yet - I did a mixed fermentation with a Belgian Sacc strain). It's changing, for the better in my mind, with time. It's been in the bottle 2 months.
Case in point - my 100% Brett beer that I entered into competition. Though it actually landed a silver medal (so I'm not really complaining) the judges comments included things like "not enough Brett character", "looking for more Brett sourness", "nice beer, but the Brett is undetectable". I was disappointed by the lack of understanding of what to expect...or maybe the judges prefer "traditional" Brett flavors.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #293
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Case in point - my 100% Brett beer that I entered into competition. Though it actually landed a silver medal (so I'm not really complaining) the judges comments included things like "not enough Brett character", "looking for more Brett sourness", "nice beer, but the Brett is undetectable". I was disappointed by the lack of understanding of what to expect...or maybe the judges prefer "traditional" Brett flavors.
I think this is a running problem that 100% Brett beers face — many people, even accomplished brewers, just don't know what to expect. They think that because it's "100%" that means there's going to be a super intense funk character and they think it's a flaw of the beer when it's not.

I'm not BJCP certified myself, so I don't know what the training is like, but it seems like it might not be keeping pace with some of these new experimental styles that are just gaining traction.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #294
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Been drinking my second Trois beer for a few weeks now, got a write-up posted on my blog. I'm pretty surprised how different it came out compared to my first Trois beer, which was a session / white IPA. With all the hops in that one, the flavors focused on the big tropical / guava / mango notes that I expected. Second batch has that too, but a whole other range of flavors as well.

My second Trois beer has a pretty simple recipe and low-hopping, for a focus on the yeast, and its character leans a bit more toward a tart-berry thing. It's very interesting and very enjoyable. The tropical notes are definitely still there, but I think the hops really helped to bring those out in the first beer. Also, this second batch ended up with some extra head space in the carboy and a week longer of aging, so I think it developed more acidity. That extra little bit of sourness enhances the "tart berry" character. And unless I'm just imagining that, Trois seemed to develop tartness a lot faster than the other Brett strains I've used in 100% Brett fermentations.

So happy Trois is going to be year-round next year. Such a great yeast.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #295
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellomcbane View Post
So happy Trois is going to be year-round next year. Such a great yeast.
I hadn't heard that! Great news! I can't wait to get it into my arsenal!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison, Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/10/20
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #296
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze

I hadn't heard that! Great news! I can't wait to get it into my arsenal!
Yes, to be released mid January per email I got from White Labs.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #297
monkeybox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellomcbane View Post
Been drinking my second Trois beer for a few weeks now, got a write-up posted on my blog. I'm pretty surprised how different it came out compared to my first Trois beer, which was a session / white IPA.
I have some cultured WLP644 (Thanks highgravitybacon!) and am deciding on a WLP644 recipe right now. I was planning on something like your White IPA, but the recipe is a bit complex for my liking. I prefer to keep things down to a couple grains and a couple hops, but I'm willing to do more if it's a really great beer.

Which of your recipes did you like better? Any changes you'd suggest to either recipe?

Anybody else have recipes for 100% WLP644 that they think are fantastic?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #298
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybox View Post
I have some cultured WLP644 (Thanks highgravitybacon!) and am deciding on a WLP644 recipe right now. I was planning on something like your White IPA, but the recipe is a bit complex for my liking. I prefer to keep things down to a couple grains and a couple hops, but I'm willing to do more if it's a really great beer.

Which of your recipes did you like better? Any changes you'd suggest to either recipe?

Anybody else have recipes for 100% WLP644 that they think are fantastic?
Not sure if you meant the other one rather than the White IPA. The White IPA was only three malts, which I wouldn't consider particularly complex. I think the main trick with formulating the recipe is getting some body and mouthfeel into the beer, as 100% Brett beers tend to be thin and a bit watery. With the white IPA, you could probably just do two grains, a base malt and somewhere around 30% wheat. I think a bit of carapils or C20 helps too, but I guess it's not crucial. I would shoot for at least 5% ABV too. For the hop bill, you could go simpler. Really, any good IPA hop bill should work, since the yeast blends in with the hop aroma so thoroughly. Northwest hops or New Zeland hops should work best.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite, I prefer the white IPA... I think the extra hops really balance the fruity sweetness Trois creates. The "Belgian pale ale" version was very good too, though, so it really depends what you're looking for, hoppy or simpler and sweet. If you wanted to simplify that recipe, you could cut the Munich. The bit of honey malt obviously added to the sweetness there, and I think helped accent the "berry" like flavors, so you could adjust that to your preferences.

Hope that helps!

Brettanomyces & Wild Yeast T-Shirts
How Many Hop Varieties Are in the Best IPAs? - A Statistical Analysis
Bear Flavored's Ultimate Guide to Hop Varieties
Culturing Conan, the Heady Topper Yeast

Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #299
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

monkeybox - I really liked my ESBrett I did a while ago. It was the second runnings from a barley wine, but is basically an ESB base. As othellomcbane discussed, the Brett can produce a thinning of the mouthfeel so I think some crystal malts really help. Plus I have found that the more complex sugars in your wort the more intense and fruit forward notes are produced by Brett Drie.

I happen to really like Nelson hops and they reinforce the flavors produced by the yeast. I think anything tropical goes nicely.

Here is my right up - http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...l-bretter.html

And tasting notes - http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...-drie-100.html

Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #300
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I was disappointed by the lack of understanding of what to expect...or maybe the judges prefer "traditional" Brett flavors.
It's hard to find good judges. It's especially hard to find good judges for every competition.

That being said, how many people even know of this strain of yeast? And how many of those people are judging in comps? I wish there was a better way of educating the BJCP, but with it being a volunteer based organization, it's kind of hard.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Quick Reply