Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #221
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My starter and 2 batches both had fermentations like an active Belgian strain. I aerated all mine. Don't fear losing the fruitiness or gaining too much acid/sour. You might get a touch of tartness, but nothing anyone would label as sour. The tropical fruit will still be very present.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #222
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Should be easily killed with properly mixed starsan or peracetic (if you have access). It's just yeast however slightly more acid tolerant than Saccharomyces yeasts, but not enough to make starsan ineffective.
True, but the issue with Brett compared to Saccharomyces is that it doesn’t take many cells to make over a batch… eventually. I run all of my beers with Brett through my sour gear. I’d rather risk my 100% Brett beers getting a little tart, than my clean beers getting a little funky.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

platypotamus Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #223
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock

True, but the issue with Brett compared to Saccharomyces is that it doesn’t take many cells to make over a batch… eventually. I run all of my beers with Brett through my sour gear. I’d rather risk my 100% Brett beers getting a little tart, than my clean beers getting a little funky.
Mike, I ran a batch with ECY farmhouse Brett through my clean bottling bucket by mistake on day. Of course, a batch of blonde ale with Nelson Sauvin & Australian yeast went through it and voila, just the slightest hint of a funk showed up after a few months. It almost makes me want to run all of my clean beers through it...it's wonderful! Of course, I won't, but its a fun thought.

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #224
nppeders
Recipes 

Congrats Jim on your beer! I was there for the judging and one of the judges said yours was the best in category, but I know they took some deliberating on which one was the best. Great job on that beer for sure!

I just drank one of my Biere de Garde's that I did 100% Trios (actually Avery 15 dregs that Almighty mailed me.) I found the Aroma to be a little spicy (much like a Saison) and the fruityness was more in the Flavor. It may have been my base beer playing with the yeast, but that was my impression. Too bad I only did 1 gallon of that beer Brett Drie Biere de Garde.

The base Biere de garde got 2nd in the comp in the French, Belgian category! I used the De Konich yeast for that portion of the wort.

Nick Pederson aka dank brewer

If you want to check out every beer I've ever made and other stuff check out my Dank Brewing Blog

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #225
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nppeders
Congrats Jim on your beer! I was there for the judging and one of the judges said yours was the best in category, but I know they took some deliberating on which one was the best. Great job on that beer for sure!

I just drank one of my Biere de Garde's that I did 100% Trios (actually Avery 15 dregs that Almighty mailed me.) I found the Aroma to be a little spicy (much like a Saison) and the fruityness was more in the Flavor. It may have been my base beer playing with the yeast, but that was my impression. Too bad I only did 1 gallon of that beer Brett Drie Biere de Garde.

The base Biere de garde got 2nd in the comp in the French, Belgian category! I used the De Konich yeast for that portion of the wort.
Thanks (and Almighty and othello too). Must have been a tough category to judge with no real style guidelines - my hat is off to everyone involved. As this beer has aged I definitely taste more sourness coming on as the hops are fading. I have another beer in the fermenter with this strain - a sort of southern English brown (OG 1.045ish). Last I checked it was down to 1.012. Fermented nicely in the low 60s. I didn't quite get the same fruitiness this time around (of course, I used less fruity hops as well, so it is hard for me to tease the yeast and hop profiles apart). I wonder if there is a malt component in play here as well.

I actually forget what equipment I used to bottle my last batch. I remember thinking it was just yeast (and not bacteria), so I am a little nervous that I used my regular stuff instead of my "contaminated" stuff. I'll have to be on the look out for Brett flavors coming on in my non-Brett beers.

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #226
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar
... forgive me if I'm being redundant...

How long are you letting this sit in primary? Does it benefit from extended aging in primary?
I'm going to be using 9lbs pils, 1lb wheat, 1lb rye, and .5 munich. For hops, I'm thinking Sauvin and Pacific Jade.

Should I add some adjuncts/crystal, or should I stick with the malts in the grain bill?
Your grain bill is slightly similar (no crystal, namely, but also the same grains in different proportions) to what I have been doing with 644. Keep it simple. I use 10.75 2row, 7.25 wheat, 3.75 rye, and a splash of Munich in a 12 gallon batch (10 gallons packaged). Im targeting a fruity pale ale type finish. Keep in mind that Brett does not produce glycerol (Sacc does), so your beer will have a lighter mouthfeel than a Sacc beer.

I'm going to add my answers, whether it's redundant or not:
I primary 4 weeks, same with all my Sacc beers. No secondary unless I'm adding fruit or bugs
I cannot advise on extended primary or secondary, but I have been very happy with my 4 week turn around.
I would stick with the Malta you have identified.

As for equipment, I use my infected plastics when I'm playing with Brett.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #227
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by berebrando View Post
Your grain bill is slightly similar (no crystal, namely, but also the same grains in different proportions) to what I have been doing with 644. Keep it simple. I use 10.75 2row, 7.25 wheat, 3.75 rye, and a splash of Munich in a 12 gallon batch (10 gallons packaged). Im targeting a fruity pale ale type finish. Keep in mind that Brett does not produce glycerol (Sacc does), so your beer will have a lighter mouthfeel than a Sacc beer.

I'm going to add my answers, whether it's redundant or not:
I primary 4 weeks, same with all my Sacc beers. No secondary unless I'm adding fruit or bugs
I cannot advise on extended primary or secondary, but I have been very happy with my 4 week turn around.
I would stick with the Malta you have identified.

As for equipment, I use my infected plastics when I'm playing with Brett.
Fantastic info, I appreciate the time it took to type up!

I got my vial in the mail today, along with a couple oz of Sauvin...looking to start building the starter tomorrow after work. I love the idea of a 100% Brett saison with NZ hops!

Thanks again

Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #228
berebrando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar
I love the idea of a 100% Brett saison with NZ hops!
it sounds like a great idea. Wish I could find some NZ hops...

Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #229
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Flyingfinbar - The combo of the Nelson and Brett Trois/Drie is great. The beer I brewed was similar, but I did add crystal and it was the second runnings of a barleywine. The beer went over very well with my homebrew club and friends. Be prepared for a fruit bomb depending on how much Nelson you add. I dry-hopped with an ounce in 5 gals, which was great.

Here are my brew session details - http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/2012/05/brett-series-extra-special-bretter.html
and Tasting Notes - http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/2012/05/homebrew-tasting-100-brett-drie-100.html

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #230
berebrando
Recipes 

A little more research: I have fermented with Trois three times now at 60 F, 65F, and 70F. Following two weeks in the fermentation chamber, and two weeks at ambient, each beer has finished at 1.010... Tasting notes forthcoming

Quick Reply