Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #171
oregone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dextrose and honey. About half and half staged during first few days of fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #172
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Took a sample today of my pale ale fermented half with Brett 'Trois' and half with Brett brux/lambicus (5 gallons of each).

My first impressions of the brux/lambicus blend is Belgian ale with spices. I think this spice flavor might make a unique Belgian holiday ale. It tastes a lot like green apples and, to a lesser extent, tropical fruit. The fruitiness could be attributed to my citra/chinook hop schedule. The yeast is still causing a lot of turbulence, indicating its not quite finished. The brux/lambicus blend has it sitting at 1.016 after 17 days. Out of curiosity, the pH measured was 4.26

In contrast, the Trois half tastes much cleaner - it doesn't have the same Belgian spice in the aroma or flavor. The aroma is very light and fruity. Honestly, it's very clean, but tastes a little green. Again, the fruitiness is probably due to the hops. The yeast has pretty much flocculated out and, judging by the sample, has pretty much attenuated. This half came in at 1.010 with a pH 4.20.

I was hoping to package this batch on Sunday, but it looks like the b/l blend needs more time. The Trois half will be packaged, pending stable gravity reading, on Sunday.

I'm thinking the b/l blend will be racked on top of some sugary medjool dates so that I can free up the fermenter.

image-2626335742.jpg  

Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #173
TequilaMockingbird
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Picked up some of this Brett B strain from Hop & Grape earlier this week, and I'm now fermenting a Beglian red at a ratio of 75% Sacc and 25% Brett. After 12 hours the fermentation was vigorous to say the least. This is my first foray in to Brett B, and I'm really looking forward to this one. Plan to drop in to secondary after 10 days and leave for a further 14 before bottling.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #174
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird
Picked up some of this Brett B strain from Hop & Grape earlier this week, and I'm now fermenting a Beglian red at a ratio of 75% Sacc and 25% Brett. After 12 hours the fermentation was vigorous to say the least. This is my first foray in to Brett B, and I'm really looking forward to this one. Plan to drop in to secondary after 10 days and leave for a further 14 before bottling.
You'll be happy with this yeast regimen, but plan on giving it 6 to 8 weeks in the fermenter. Around the 6 week mark you'll notice a very delicate note of Brett funk.

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

www.draconianlibations.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Draconian-Libations/258343357538490

Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #175
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Ended up stiring a 1500 starter and brewed up a simple pale ale with nelson sauvin and pacific jade hops split it in 3 batches.
Under pitched one. Split the rest between the other 2 batchs and aerated only one of them

as of 5 hours the largest krausen is on the underpitched batch?!
nice krausen on the normal pitch aerated
pellice forming on the non-aerated

Will report back!!
ended up throwing in 1/3 bottle of POM cherry into each after they slowed down bout 2 weeks ago which they ate within days
Bottled all 3 yesterday and holy s$% the only one i didnt airate stinks amazing of overripe pineapple guava tangerine with that beautifully grape aroma from the sauvin hops and this slighty stone fruity aroma from the cherry and pom im assuming but WOW was i impressed with this experiment.

If your going for fruity tart over funk DO NOT AIRATE!!
Both batchs wether under or over pitched while being airated both taste very alike and have a slight acetic acid sourness to it already tropical fruit is evident but not as much as the non-airated

Bottles are carbing up for now. I have 5 bombers of each variation and plan to sample then 1 month apart after about 2 months of aging. I know this sounds very short but when the last bottle is sampled it will be 7-8 months in bottle or mayb i will save the last one for the year anniversary

thx again for all the help in this thread, lotta good readin in here!!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #176
berebrando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1
If your going for fruity tart over funk DO NOT AIRATE!!

thx again for all the help in this thread, lotta good readin in here!!
Awesome experiment. I look forward to the tasting results. There sure is a lot of great info posted here!

I packaged my wild pale ale over the weekend. The half fermented with Trois finished 1.010. Along the same lines: tropical fruit aroma and flavor from the uncarbonated sample at bottling. Tasting notes forthcoming. The half that was fermented with brux/lambicus (WLP) blend was not quite finished, and I needed the carboy, so I racked it to secondary on top of 5lbs of sugar medjool dates. It's already fermenting like crazy.

I also brewed up a wild IPA (for lack of a better term) with 4oz of each of Columbus, chinook, and Simcoe at flame out. I pitched the 644 slurry from the pale ale. I pitched about 150 mL of slurry (og is 1.067) in each carboy. I will report back. In future batches, I'd really like to test the upper limits of this yeast (644) in terms of both gravity and temperature.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #177
NcBrewer35
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Issues with this strain..????

I am doing an education session for my beer club on this particular yeast and we are running into some issues I hope some of you could address.

We are doing 6 different beers all fermented with 100% of the Brett Trois.

3 of us have brewed our batches already while the other 3 have not.

One recipe seems to have stalled after only 8 days. He says after 45 hours the beer was down to 1.027. But since then the beer has not dropped any more gravity points. So after only 2 days the Trois brought the beer down to 1.027 but now 5 more days later and the beer is at the same gravity. The beer originally started at about 1.045. Fermentation has been done at the mid 70's.

Another member pitched his yeast over 48 hours ago but is not getting much activity.

All of us are seasoned brewers so I am fairly confident that all our pitch rates/temp/mash parameters are correct.

Does this yeast have cycles as some Brett does? Any info anyone could provide would be appreciated

Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #178
berebrando
Recipes 

What were the pitching rates? This is pretty weird as I have followed this thread for a while and not seen anyone with stalled fermentations. In many cases, the brewers in this thread have used 1 to 2 liter starters for normal sized beers and have seen good atentuation.

Also curious what the mash temperature was? I mashed at 150 and had my Trois Pale Ale finish at 1.010 after two weeks. The fermentation, as many have discussed here, follows a very similar appearance as a tradional Sacc ferment, except that I am experiencing extended krausening. So, while it looks like a typical Sacc krausen, it is lasted two times longer than a side-by-side Sacc krausen.

capture.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #179
NcBrewer35
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

maybe this will help. Let me put in exact quotes their responses in our ongoing emails.

Quote:
OK, I may have a problem unless this brett ferments in cycles. It's been 1 week since I brewed, so I checked the gravity so we have some data on how the brett functions, and my gravity was exactly the same as it was after 45 hours. Its stuck at 1.027. It's very sweet still (cloyingly sweet) since it's only fermented 45% of the sugars. I did mash a bit warmer (156-157) since I expected the brett to rip through everything, but there's no way it should finish this high.

I had been fermenting in mid-70's (room temp at our house right now), which is on the low end of the yeast's range, so I put my seedling heating mat under the fermenting bucket tonight. I also gently stirred with a SS spoon to try to rouse the yeast. I should be able to get it into the 80's I think, so hopefully the warmer temps will invigorate the yeasties to start up again. If not I'll need a plan B.

If anyone has any suggestions (other than the warmer temps) I'm open to them. I suppose it could just need more time, but there is no signs of fermentation (it's starting to clear) and no gravity drop in 5 days. If this were my personal brew I'd consider hitting with some of my Wyeast Brett Lambicus that I have after another week or two of inactivity. Adding another brett should knock down the gravity like adding brett in secondary, but that would completely screw up the dynamics of our experiment (plus it may not be ready in time).

I'll keep an eye on it, maybe it will wake up after i warm it a bit.

I had great fermentation 12 hours from pitching - the yeast ripped thru the first 55% of the sugars, then just stopped. Not sure why. The heating mat has it up to 79 today - there's very little airlock activity. I'll wait and see how you guy's beers do, and give mine some more time. Mabye it's like that DuPont Saison strain that craps out for two weeks and come back to life after that to finish?
The other brewers comments:

Quote:
I have had little to no activity out of my wort since I put it in the fermentation chamber on Wednesday night. I started it out at 70F, and was planning to slowly ramp it up to between 75-80F or so, but last night it has a very small krausen (1/4-1/2 inch) on top, so I went ahead and bumped it to 80F (basing it also on the feedback about yours stalling out) and haven't really seen any changes. I'm close to 48 hours and feel like I should see some sort of activity.

For what its worth, in the early days of my yeast starter, I had a nice little krausen, but as I continued to ramp it up every 3-4 days with more starter wort, that krausen went to about nothing. Could I have done something wrong there, or does anyone have any suggestions?
We all made 1000ml starters over the course of 8 days. My beer is currently doing ok I think. I brewed Sunday and after 5 full days of fermentation I have dropped from 1.086 to 1.034. The airlock bubbles about every 15 seconds. I am fermenting at 76 degrees.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #180
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

From Chad Yokobsen, the Brett will have a lag after the first few days, the get active again around 7-8 days. My initial fermentations (did 2 batches both described in this thread) were far more aggressive than those described above. I ferment in my kettle normally, and since I wanted to free it up to brew the following weekend, I racked to secondary fairly quickly, then ignored them for weeks. So I can't comment on whether there was a vigorous second fermentation or a long slow drop. I can say my blond never got a new kreusen even when racked onto fruit. My pitching rate would have been higher than yours. I pitched cooler, but ramped as high as 80 on their own in those first days.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Quick Reply