Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #161
bogwart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
Please keep us updated! I'm planning on brewing that farmhouse recipe after I brew the Belgian White recipe (preparation for the next BBBB!). I didn't get my hands on the Trois but will brew them both with a combo of Brux and Lamb.
Sure can. I was planning on rinsing the yeast and using it for other projects. I'd be more than happy to share some of it with you if you'd like. Just my two cents: like others said earlier in the post...it needs to be propped up. I was amazed at how little yeast was in the vial from WL. I propped mine up over two weeks and had a fast and vigorous fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #162
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I also made the brett farmhouse ale. Well I basically followed the grist but left out the spicing and used my own hops. So basically I took the advice of using body building high protein grains and made it lower gravity, I guess didn't make the beer haha. Anyway it's been a couple weeks. I'll hopefully crash it this weekend. I may rack six gallons of the eight into a carboy and rack the remaining beer into my sour saison portion. I will hopefully bottle in a few weeks with the trois portion though.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #163
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

With my recent batch of Spelt Saison, I wanted to test this temperature dependence. I split the main batch wort into 2 - 1 gal batches. One batch was fermented with a normal Saison temperature profile (start in the low 70s and free rise into the 80s and held for a week). The other batch was temperature controlled in the fermentation cabinet at 63-65 for 2 weeks and then brought up to mid 70s. The fermentation looked complete after 2 weeks.

Results:
Saison Profile - 1.000 - nice spicy notes, Belgian phenols and light fruit notes
Low Ale Temps - 1.000 - nice spicy notes, Belgian phenols and light fruit notes

I was surprised by the results, both were 100% Apparent Attenuation and 7.9% ABV. These both were allowed to ferment out for a total of 3 weeks before bottling. I'll do an official taste test in the following weeks.

Also, I have a Dark Saison recipe I'm working on, that a portion will get Brett Drie. I'm going to try to test this yeast and get up in the 11% ABV range. What are the limits people have tried so far?

Also I decided to summarize my experience with this yeast in a lengthy post on my blog:
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...lt-saison.html

Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #164
bogwart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
With my recent batch of Spelt Saison, I wanted to test this temperature dependence. I split the main batch wort into 2 - 1 gal batches. One batch was fermented with a normal Saison temperature profile (start in the low 70s and free rise into the 80s and held for a week). The other batch was temperature controlled in the fermentation cabinet at 63-65 for 2 weeks and then brought up to mid 70s. The fermentation looked complete after 2 weeks.

Results:
Saison Profile - 1.000 - nice spicy notes, Belgian phenols and light fruit notes
Low Ale Temps - 1.000 - nice spicy notes, Belgian phenols and light fruit notes

I was surprised by the results, both were 100% Apparent Attenuation and 7.9% ABV. These both were allowed to ferment out for a total of 3 weeks before bottling. I'll do an official taste test in the following weeks.

Also, I have a Dark Saison recipe I'm working on, that a portion will get Brett Drie. I'm going to try to test this yeast and get up in the 11% ABV range. What are the limits people have tried so far?

Also I decided to summarize my experience with this yeast in a lengthy post on my blog:
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...lt-saison.html
I'm interested in hearing what the upper limit of this yeast is as well. It would seem that with enough healthy yeast and ideal circumstances, it should be fairly alcohol tolerant. I made a belgian stout that finished WAY too high: from 1.088 to 1.026. I took 1gal of it and pitched the trois. It's moving slowly, but after 2 weeks it's down to 1.020 and very fruity. Next in line I have a brett brux trois porter (same one from the Zymurgy magazine). That should begin at a 1.080. The plan is to go 100% fermentation with the trois on that one as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #165
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I thought this was the Brett Drie strain. Or are you using a non WL strain to compare characteristics?

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #166
Almighty
Recipes 

I have a culture that was taken from the dregs of Avery 15. Chad Y talks about this strain(s) extensively on his old blog - http://www.brettanomycesproject.com/...on-a-15-dregs/
Which he found out is actually 2 strains of Brett - http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com/2...myces-strains/

The same culture I was given was also given to White Labs. I do not know what White Labs did with the original culture (if they isolated cultures or removed bacteria), but the properties are very close to my experience.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #167
oregone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogwart View Post
I'm interested in hearing what the upper limit of this yeast is as well. It would seem that with enough healthy yeast and ideal circumstances, it should be fairly alcohol tolerant. I made a belgian stout that finished WAY too high: from 1.088 to 1.026. I took 1gal of it and pitched the trois. It's moving slowly, but after 2 weeks it's down to 1.020 and very fruity. Next in line I have a brett brux trois porter (same one from the Zymurgy magazine). That should begin at a 1.080. The plan is to go 100% fermentation with the trois on that one as well.
I've done a strong golden that pushed 12%. Not as good a profile as C in that beer, but fermented out intwo weeks with 22% sugars.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #168
Almighty
Recipes 

oregone - What were your starting and finishing gravity for each Brett beer?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #169
oregone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will have to dig through notes for starting gravity, but finished at 1.004. Mashed for 60 at 148 with 90% pils malt. Some acid and Carapils to round it out with a pinch of aromatic.

Edit: two liter starter ramped up over two weeks for a 7 gallon batch (2 for bottles, 5 for keg)

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #170
Almighty
Recipes 

If its 12% then it would have started around 1.090 or 1.095. That is some attenuation. I'm confused about the sugar, did you add sugar?

Quick Reply