New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Will grapes make it taste harsh?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Will grapes make it taste harsh?

I'm about to move a couple of gallons onto some fruit. I have about half a pound of red grapes sitting doing nothing. If I tossed them in with the fruit, would it extract too much tannin from the skins.

I wouldn't want to wait 6 months to find out I had a disaster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

table grapes dont impart much flavor to fermented beverages thats why they arent used very often. Like you said though you might get some tannin from the skins but probably not much else. If it were me I would eat them, 1/2# of most likely flame seedless grapes in a beer would be like pissing in the ocean, you know you did it but no one else will

Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
OddNotion
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Any ideas on where to get some good useful grapes for brewing. Anywhere I really see wine grapes you have to buy tons(literally) and I don't see 2000 pounds of grapes going into 5 gallons of beer. I'm looking to toss some into some of my sours but haven't seen anything. I do realize I haven't been looking around harvesting season but when they do come out in smaller quantities I want to jump on them.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Grapes can do amazing things for funky beers. Last year I did a saison that I left in primary for 5 weeks, then transferred to secondary on 3 pounds of grapes, 3 pounds of peaches, and Brett L.

Did a 3.5 month secondary before kegging. Its an amazing beer, has gotten me two first place in category and one 3rd best in show. I got the grapes off of a vine growing on a neighbor's fence right down the street from me. They are intensely "grapey" grapes, smells like grape Koolaid every time you drive by in late summer. Have no idea what kind they are unfortunately.

Anyway, I blanched the peaches and grapes and took the skins off of everything before pitching it into the secondary. Had no desire to get any bitterness from the skins.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddNotion View Post
Any ideas on where to get some good useful grapes for brewing. Anywhere I really see wine grapes you have to buy tons(literally) and I don't see 2000 pounds of grapes going into 5 gallons of beer. I'm looking to toss some into some of my sours but haven't seen anything. I do realize I haven't been looking around harvesting season but when they do come out in smaller quantities I want to jump on them.
Several years back (~4) I started growing several varieties of wine grapes just for using them in sour beers. This year I will harvest my first crop, and its looking very nice so far. I know that doesnt help too much, but I know others who have done the same thing, might be something to do in the long run.

I do remember that midwest sells 5gal pails full of wine grapes fresh in harvest season. I think they also have frozen must pails as well. Problem is that 5gal of grapes is A LOT, and they arent very cheap.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
OddNotion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Several years back (~4) I started growing several varieties of wine grapes just for using them in sour beers. This year I will harvest my first crop, and its looking very nice so far. I know that doesnt help too much, but I know others who have done the same thing, might be something to do in the long run.

I do remember that midwest sells 5gal pails full of wine grapes fresh in harvest season. I think they also have frozen must pails as well. Problem is that 5gal of grapes is A LOT, and they arent very cheap.
Yeah once I am out of my apartment (few years away) I will start growing hops, and likely will try my luck with some grapes as well... I really wanted to add grapes to some of my beers but it looks as though I will be grapeless for the time being.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddNotion View Post
Yeah once I am out of my apartment (few years away) I will start growing hops, and likely will try my luck with some grapes as well... I really wanted to add grapes to some of my beers but it looks as though I will be grapeless for the time being.
Alexanders has a line of grape concentrates that are pretty good, midwest sells them in cans. Ive used the barbera one before in a beer and it turned out quite good, only thing I missed when using them was the skins for their tannin

Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
OddNotion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Alexanders has a line of grape concentrates that are pretty good, midwest sells them in cans. Ive used the barbera one before in a beer and it turned out quite good, only thing I missed when using them was the skins for their tannin
Does any other fruit have a skin that will mimic the tannins contributed by the grape skins? I have seen some places that occasionally sell grape skins maybe ill look into that along with some concentrate.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you live in wine country, some farmers will let you go through after they have picked and glean the grapes still left on the vine.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
OddNotion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
If you live in wine country, some farmers will let you go through after they have picked and glean the grapes still left on the vine.
That must be nice! NYC might be as far away from wine country as possible

I will have to try to come across them somehow, or just use some good qulaity concentrate/juice and hope it adds the flavor I am looking for.

Quick Reply