New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Wild Yeast Starter project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Wild Yeast Starter project

I have a wild yeast capture project working. I'm using a collected wort from a partial mash.

It's been going for about a week, getting a krausen going. BUT, I'm not going to be ready to brew with this anytime soon.

What would you suggest to save this culture until I'm ready to brew?
Sanitize a mason jar Cap & put in refridg.

Any Suggestions?

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How long until you think you will brew with it? I'm not sure what the recommendation for wild yeast is, but I'm planning on doing it and thought I would run the wild yeast through a couple of generations in wort to put some slight selective pressure on the yeast and get it used to it's new conditions before using it.

If you're going to be using it in the next few months, you'd be fine storing it in small mason jars or test tubes in the fridge. Otherwise, I'd freeze a portion.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I treat them just like any other yeast starters that I have. If you want to store it, treat it just like you would a stored starter / washed yeast cake.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm about 2 months away from brewing, possibly a bit less. will probably run through a few generations as well. refine the wildness a bit.

I'm going to partigyle a smaller 2 gallon batch on the back end of a porter to get a wild brown ale. if test batch works I'll do a bigger 5gallon.

What needs to be added to the yeast for freezing?

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There's a primer somewhere on here about making a frozen yeast bank. I'm not sure what all needs to be done but you have to prep it by adding it to another medium before freezing it to ensure the cells won't rupture and die.

Keep in mind that, after several generations, you will probably wind up with a different product. Unlike purchased yeast which is generally only a single yeast or, at most, a few yeasts, this will likely have bacterias, several types of wild yeast, and who knows what else. Something(s) will likely take over and dominate. But, most likely, after you get a starter up to a couple of liters, you'll likely have a dominate yeast anyway and it will be a non-issue.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks Barc! If I find what that other medium is I'll post it. otherwise I'm just going to refridge it until use (hopefully not more than a month or so).

That's pretty much my plan... grow the starter up to a 2 liter and pitch the slurry.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here ya go:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guide-making-frozen-yeast-bank-35891/

The medium is glycerine, which is what I was thinking but didn't want to commit!

A two liter starter should give you a great head start. And it will be fine in the fridge for a month so long as it doesn't freeze. I've had at least one I revived after almost a year.

Good luck!

Quick Reply