Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
You definitely need to check both taste and gravity. The wild culture I have has some form of fermenting yeast along with some bacteria and brett. It seems stable after a few weeks but it is a diacetyl bomb for a few months. Then brett and the bacteria kick in and starts drying the beer out and slurping up the diacetyl.
How did you collect your wild culture, if you don't mind me asking. My culture was done on a petrie dish, then a second swipe. I accidentally left it out at room temp, instead of putting it in the fridge. When we looked through the microscope, it seemed really clean. I'm guessing the juniper berries have properties to keep the bacteria at bay. The second strike of the plum culture, taken at the same time, was toast.