wild yeast newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_General

Reaction score
Having a little extra DME and hops on hand, I decided to make an attempt to harvest some wild yeast. I made a pint starter (OG=1.030)with a little hops and set it outside with a screen on top. Within a day, I had a mini-krausen forming so I brought the starter in and covered it with foil. It's now four days later and krausen has fallen but the problem is that I'm seeing no change in gravity and the taste and smell is just like unfermented wort.

So my question is where do I go from here? There are a few possibilities I've thought of. One is that I have very little yeast and it's unable to ferment to any detectable level. If that's the case, do I cold crash it and make a much smaller starter? Another possibility is that I didn't catch anything but that seems unlikely since a krausen formed. Another option I thought of is to warm it up and aerate to see if that helps. One other option I thought about is adding more starter (maybe with yeast nutrient added) and hoping it takes off. By the way, I do see some solids sitting on the bottom of the starter and some chunks floating near the top but I'm assuming that it's mostly if not entirely hops. So I'm all ears, wild yeast gurus...what's the next step?

Why did you add hops to your starter wort? Isnt that counter productive when trying to inoculate a starter with wild yeast? I realize the Lambic producers do this but Im not so sure its the correct way to get the result you're looking for.

As far as where to go from here, the most simple next step is to take a gravity reading of the starter wort. if its lower than 1.030 then you may have something. Then step the starter up as incrementally but feed it in small doses till you get to about 2L.

Any sign of yeast cake in the bottom?

I would try exposing it to the outdoors again. It's possible you picked up a yeast strain and/or bacteria that can't ferment malt sugars so it fermented what it could and dropped out.

I lightly hopped it because I thought hops inhibited mold/bacteria growth and not yeast. I figured it was tipping the odds slightly in my favor.

There is a something on the bottom but I suspect it's mostly if not entirely hops. There's been, if anything, a slight lowering of the gravity but not anything really significant. That fact, combined with the presence of a krausen really confused me.

Just keep in mind not all yeast will ferment malt sugars so you might have picked up some lazy yeast that only want to ferment basic sugars like fructose. You may also have some yeast that take a while to chew up more complex sugars. So you could either give it some more time or toss it back outside and try again.

I did something pretty much like this with great success. I used some hops for the same reason - I wanted to inhibit Lacto from taking control. I just let it go and it fermented out, it was slow, so be patient with it. I then added additional starter wort and it really took off.

I'd just let it go for a while longer and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back