Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Wild YEAST Appeared!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Pith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Added 1/3 of a cup of white sugar because I'm impatient and the mixture hardly tasted sweet at all beforehand. I wonder what would happen if I stuffed a slice of fruitcake in there? I might just go and do that now...

Poured some of the mixture into a glass, mashed about .5 x .5 x 1.5 inch slice of light fruit cake around in it and poured it back in. Looks rank.

Also added about 50mL of dead baker's yeast (I poured boiling water onto it) for nutrient. This'd better frikkin overflow with activity by the morning. :P

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you oxygenating your "wort" after 24-48 hours or just leaving it? In order to get any sort of yeast activity you have to give them air. Personally, I would leave it out with just a cover of cheesecloth overnight and then shake it vigorously in the morning. Then leave it in the house to reproduce, shaking again every few hours the first couple of days. I didnt see any sort of "activity" with my grape yeast until day 5 or so. Long lag time should be expected. You're culturing from a VERY small sample pulled from the air. I wouldnt even expect activity until day 4 or 5.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statseeker View Post
Are you oxygenating your "wort" after 24-48 hours or just leaving it? In order to get any sort of yeast activity you have to give them air. Personally, I would leave it out with just a cover of cheesecloth overnight and then shake it vigorously in the morning. Then leave it in the house to reproduce, shaking again every few hours the first couple of days. I didnt see any sort of "activity" with my grape yeast until day 5 or so. Long lag time should be expected. You're culturing from a VERY small sample pulled from the air. I wouldnt even expect activity until day 4 or 5.
Thanks for the reply. I've given it access to oxygen several times tonight, and shaken it more times than I can remember, at least every hour. I'll go and take the cling wrap off and replace it with cloth.

The only other thing I've brewed was some citrus cordial, which was fizzing by the morning after I mixed it, and I had it covered with cling wrpa all along. I had inoculated it with 7g of baker's yeast rehydrated carefully though, so that might explain it.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
statseeker
Recipes 

That would explain it.

These are the steps I used:

1. Find grapes.

2. Make VERY small gravity starter (1.015) about a half a quart.

3. Put grapes in wort over night.

4. Shake vigorously every few hours in the first 2 days after. NO "activity" should be expected as they are just in the reproducing stage. It's just a little harmless yeast sex.

5. Step up the starter to 1.035-1.040 or so and add after decanting the spent 1.015.

6. Shake vigorously for 2 days.

7. Let em go at it again until a bigger sediment of yeast is formed. Then make another 1.040 wort and feed it to them. Now you should expect some sort of fermentation "activity".

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm going to call it "The Fruity Hebrew", because it's got fruitcake and the brew has one of those headcloth things on it, like in pictures of people in kiddy bibles.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

ARGH, my intuition - however limited and flimsy - is getting the better of me. Altogether I've added a tablespoon of honey, a 1/3 of a cup of white sugar, a soupy 100mL graveyard of nutritious dead yeast and a chunk of fruitcake. There's plenty of sugars in there for the yeast to breath and nutrients for them to eat. Something tells me that mould might come to reside on the chunks of cake in there if I let it be exposed to air anyway. I'll have to shake it often so that the potential homes of nasties get demolished often enough.

Covering it back up with cling wrap. If it screws up or doesn't work, I'll only have myself to blame and you can laugh at me.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
statseeker
Recipes 

I just fear for your sake that they're the wrong kind of sugars. They arent maltose. They're glucose.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statseeker View Post
I just fear for your sake that they're the wrong kind of sugars. They arent maltose. They're glucose.
EDIT: This was a dumb disrespectful post. Here's a nice bunny instead:

Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This morning at about 12 hours, it was fizzing and smelling a teensy bit unpleasant, but nothing too off.

24 hours and the thing smells like eggs. I strained the entire thing into another bottle and added a cup of chopped sultanas. Decided that a) I'll never add cake to any brew ever again, and b) I'm NOT trying to make an alcoholic beverage (I think I was a bit confused as to what I was actually wanting to end up with), so I just covered the thing with cloth so air can get in. I'll shake it tomorrow. Let's hope I can make the thing populated enough to only have to use a small amount of it to pitch a new brew.

If this whole thing goes to sheet, I promise never to add so many variables (and crappy variables at that) to my next wild yeast experiment. I made a similar honey/apple solution and sat it outside yesterday. Hopefully I can catch something else and stop being such a damn foo'.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
statseeker
Recipes 

That sounds like a better (and probably better producing) plan to me. You might end up with something like an apple wine if things go just right. The variables have to be right on. Good yeast, good fermentation, good temperature. Crossed fingers for you.

Quick Reply