New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > What is your favorite commercial lambic/ sour beer and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Sure, but good lambics/krieks/framboises/etc are often way at the strong end of sour but have no vinegar to them. Lactic sourness is very different from acetic sourness.
I absolutely agree.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #22
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
Happy tastings on all the fantastic beers posted in this thread. If you end up scratching off the top layer of your tongue with steel wool, take a picture and post it in the "show us your pelicule" thread.
Its a deal (there is no appropriate emoticon for tongue scouring, but there should be...mods?)

I am overwhelmed by the response to this thread. I know it is guiding me in the right direction and I hope it helps others dip their toes into the sea of sours.

I decided to stop into a new (to me) Gabriel's around the corner from work and was pleasantly surprised to meet Robert, a true beer geek and incredibly knowledgable man. He owned a liquor store in CA renowned for its incredible selection, homebrewer of 30+ years, and has worked for a couple of micros in recipe development. This was a refreshing change from the San Marcos location where the college kids who work the place know how to get f&%$ed up but not much else!!! Unfortunately, he informed me that Cantillon and Russian River anything is out in good ole Tejas, but I will compile a list from this thread and challenge him to find me a few.

If you live in San Antone, this guy is a wealth of information and is too glad to talk beer...I spent over an hour talking and could have stayed much longer.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #23
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

You should be able to find Lindeman's Cuve Renee (gueuze) at a decently stocked liquor store. You may find their faro as well. Faro is a backsweetened lambic (but not as bad as the Lindeman's fruit lambics).

You can find Duchess, if you are willing to give it a whirl, at Central Markets, Majestic and Specs. You can also find Petrus Aged Pale and Petrus Oud Bruin at Specs. Specs should also have La Folie, Transatlanque Kriek and some other random sours. Specs usually have somebody knowledgeable working around the beer that can point you in the right direction. I don't know how far off from Specs you are but I know they are around the Austin area.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #24
lotbfan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you have paypal, and like to live on the wild side of postal service law, i may be able to help you find some russian. ive not mailed "live yeast samples" before, but hey, it can be a first experience for both of us. pm me if you are still stuck by weeks end.

is it ironic that i am drinking a bottle of rr temptation right now?

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
starrfish

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Lindemans Gueuze... my first sour ever. still an all time fav... I just can't find it very often, but when i do I buy what I can get! rough day at work... would love one for LUNCH!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #26
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Russian River Sanctification is my ideal 'sour' beer. However, I think its only sold at the brew pub in Santa Rosa, CA. It's not too sour, no acetic acid and tons of complexity. I wish I lived in Santa Rosa simply for that beer.

Besides that, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere is a great place to start in terms of getting into the style.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #27
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like most sours (unless they are heavily backsweetened), but my favorites are Belgian Lambics. Cantillon Iris is probably my favorite of the bunch - it defies attempts at verbal descriptions.

Domestically, I have really enjoyed Cigar City's sours. Sea Bass was very awesome! Vuja De was a very interesting one as well on tap, but I haven't tried the bottled version yet.

I haven't had the chance to try any Russian River or New Glarus sours, which are reportedly also top tier in the U.S.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #28
dcHokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I'm a big fan of Rodenbach Grand Cru and most of Russian River's barrel aged beers.

I'll give a +1 for Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere. I find all the JP beers to be approachable. Even my friends that aren't really into sours "yet" still find them interesting and palatable.

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #29
lotbfan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just realized I forgot to plug our local sour house, not sure if it is distributed to Texas, but if you see anything from Cascade Barrel House out of Portland down your way, they are all brett, all barrel aged, and they are all pretty good. I think they only come in 750ml bottles, but they should be under 20 bucks, maybe closer to 15. cascade link

one interesting thing they do is sour a lot of traditional beer styles, so if you ever wondered what a sour ipa or a sour porter would taste like, this is the place. they brew up their normal beers in a different location, and then truck over half of it to sour in a separate brewery... smart if you ask me!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #30
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotbfan View Post
if you have paypal, and like to live on the wild side of postal service law, i may be able to help you find some russian. ive not mailed "live yeast samples" before, but hey, it can be a first experience for both of us. pm me if you are still stuck by weeks end.

is it ironic that i am drinking a bottle of rr temptation right now?
Pay day is the end of the month and you my friend are now saved to the top of the homebrew favorites

Any Texas brews you have a hankering to sample? Nothing really comes close to the beervana that is the NW + RR, but I am happy to reciprocate I really like a lot of Real Ale's stuff, but they aren't doing anything very outrageous, just tasty as hell!!! I was born in CA and grew up in Oregon but moved to Texas long before I could ever sample the hoppy malty goodness of my youth. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Rogue set up shop in my old stomping grounds right around the time I left!!!

I'll PM ya in a couple of weeks...I think shipping via FedEx or UPS is frowned upon but not illegal as w/ the good ole USPS.

Quick Reply