Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > What should I do with this batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
thedude123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What should I do with this batch?

I made a Pale Ale and it is infected with something. It tastes like plastic or medicine. It has big clumps of white stuff floating in the carboy. My question is if I let this keep going will I get wild yeast? Are the clumps wild yeast? Should I just dump the batch and forget about it? The batch has already been fermenting for 11 days and still has clumps of stuff floating.

Merrimack Valley Homebrew Club

http://mvhbc.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any pictures? May not be an infection.. Could be clumps of yeast or possibly mold along the surface. Moldy batches can be saved by simply racking your batch from under the mold across the top. Pics will help us determine if it's infected or not... Don't toss the batch yet!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am fairly certain it is mold. I am going to try the racking method that you said and see how it tastes tomorrow.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds good! For the most part, you really shouldn't have to dump a batch unless it is truely infected. Most cases turn out not to be infections...

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 07-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ya it was truely infected. The entire batch smelled like vinegar and when I moved it around there were clumps the size of golf balls in it. Oh well live and learn.

Quick Reply