Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > What could be growing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Plan9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What could be growing?

Last week I was at my LHBS and they gave me a pack of Wyeast Lambic blend for free, because it was 10-11 months old. I smacked it and set it aside to see what might happen.
A week later, it's starting to swell.

I wonder if the yeast is dead, and that's the bugs, or if the yeast has survived.

Is there a way to figure out what's growing when I cut it open?

Central Florida Home Brewers

Instagram

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd bet both the yeast and bugs are working. The bugs usually take a long time (months) to really sour a beer so I'm betting the yeast are swelling your pack.

Edit: well the bugs can sour sooner depending on what they are. I'd still say just brew with it and see.

You can probably tell the difference if you took out a sample and plated it to see the different colonies, but it might be hard to tell between them. Not worth the effort in my opinoin.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply