The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Wanting to try wild yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
LILJONNYWV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wanting to try wild yeast

I am wanting to give wild yeast a shot but really don't know where to start or what to use... It seems that every thing I read says something a little different and not sure what to go with, so I would appreciate any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For my first sour I tried a berliner weiss with pitching a lacto starter with am. Ale yeast. It didn't work so well although I haven't given up on it souring as I haven't had it since the three or four month mark.

For the second one all I did was make a basic pale beer grain bill with ~10 ibus of german hops at 60 min and directly pitched roselare from wyeast (don't recall the number off the top of my head. I tried it the other day (~4 months) and it's delicious and everything I hoped it would be.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The reason is there are a lot of ways to make great sour beers. A Berliner or a Brett'd saison are relatively quick places to start, but you can jump right into any recipe that looks like it fits your constraints/tastes. I tend to like pitching all of my bugs up front with a healthy pitch of brewer's yeast, works for me.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads