Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Unmalted Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Ketchepillar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Unmalted Wheat

So you are supposed to use unmalted wheat in your lambics eh? What are you guys using? Flaked Wheat? Torrified Wheat? Can I use hard red winter wheat berries? If so, I guess I'd just have to make sure I ground them well to make sure enzymes had good enough access to the starch? What percentages are you guys using in your grain bills?

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 97

What sort of mash are you doing? If you are doing an infusion you need wheat that has already been gelatinized (flaked torrified). If you want to use wheat berries you need to do a cereal or turbid mash. I did my first turbid mash a few months back, it wasn't nearly as hard/long as I assumed it would be (sadly it will be a few years before i know if that extra effort was worth it).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aaaah, yes I forgot about that difference of gelatinization temp. That would be why people use the flaked stuff-gelatinizes between the rollers. Maybe I'll try a turbid mash, but that would be the bane of sour brewer, waiting an eternity to know if it's worth it. Does anyone know what mashing process/ingredients Russian River, Lost Abbey, use?

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Quick Reply