Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Too sour, add flavored syrup?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Too sour, add flavored syrup?

Brewed a hopless rosemary ale a while back, and added some Jolly Pumpkin dregs to a gallon of it. Those JP dregs are vicious little bastards, and that gallon is now almost undrinkably sour.

Still, I'm going through a rough financial patch, so I thought I might bottle it anyway, and make some sort of flavored sugar syrup to add, as if it was a Berliner weisse. Don't drink that much, and a gallon will keep me for a week or two.

Question is, what flavor? I have some spare Tettnang, and some sweet gale, but I'm open to any good ideas anyone else might have. Beer's flavor is currently extremely sour with an aftertaste of rosemary. Anyone have any recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, 34 views so far, but no responses, so I guess this has turned into an experiment. I'll update with the results once I bottle this beer and make a syrup or two.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would recommend blending it rather than adding flavored syrup. Do you have any other brews sitting around? A gallon of something that sour can go a long way, you might be able to blend it into 4+ gallons of a simple saison to give it a nice sour note.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
ong
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin3083
Brewed a hopless rosemary ale a while back, and added some Jolly Pumpkin dregs to a gallon of it. Those JP dregs are vicious little bastards, and that gallon is now almost undrinkably sour.

Still, I'm going through a rough financial patch, so I thought I might bottle it anyway, and make some sort of flavored sugar syrup to add, as if it was a Berliner weisse. Don't drink that much, and a gallon will keep me for a week or two.

Question is, what flavor? I have some spare Tettnang, and some sweet gale, but I'm open to any good ideas anyone else might have. Beer's flavor is currently extremely sour with an aftertaste of rosemary. Anyone have any recommendations?
I like rosemary with citrus -- maybe lime or grapefruit zest boiled in a simple syrup.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would blend it with another beer as spenghali said

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Blending isn't a bad idea; it's just that all the beers I currently have available are either sours (a berliner weisse and a sour blonde with ECY Bugfarm) or aren't appropriate to use for blending with this sort of sour beer (a belgian APA and a stout with sour cherries which is already sour enough). Plus it's only a gallon.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you have some time you can brew a beer specifically for blending. 1 gallon might be enough. I have this gallon jug that has been souring for over a year that I just tried to blend with. At a 5:1 clean:sour ratio, it was still overpowering the base beer. You won't know until you try. You can experiment with small volumes.

Beer Blog:
http://dontfearthefunk.blogspot.com/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/dontfearthefunk

Quick Reply