Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > is it too late to add bugs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
sipNswirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default is it too late to add bugs?

Hi there, I brewed a very malty beer with munich, rye and crystal on wednesday. it's down to 1.012 and tastes too malty for my liking. i was thinking about adding some commercial lacto to sour it up a little bit.
is it too late for bugs? if so can i add some sugar at the same time for some food?
I've never done a sour beer before. cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its never too late for bugs!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

WY or WL lacto isnt going to do anything at this point in your beer, the alcohol will inhibit it

You could add other bugs, and especially bottle dregs

But, I dont think it will always make a good beer, I think too many people have the idea now that brett/pedio/etc are a fix all, and its not, it used to be that everyone thought champagne yeast was a cure all for problems with attenuation etc, it wasnt either

if its too malty brew up another batch, but make it very dry and hoppy, then blend in your glass

Old 12-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
sipNswirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
WY or WL lacto isnt going to do anything at this point in your beer, the alcohol will inhibit it

You could add other bugs, and especially bottle dregs

But, I dont think it will always make a good beer, I think too many people have the idea now that brett/pedio/etc are a fix all, and its not, it used to be that everyone thought champagne yeast was a cure all for problems with attenuation etc, it wasnt either

if its too malty brew up another batch, but make it very dry and hoppy, then blend in your glass
ya blending could be an option. i thought lacto could handle up to about 9%? I wouldn't mind trying it just as an experiment, but there isn't much point if i won't get an accurate representation of what the bugs can do.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From my understanding, WL and WY lacto strains are very touchy, best used prior to your yeast.

I would try adding some brett if i were you. Or go buy an orval, enjoy it, and then pitch the dregs of it. I think brett b is the strain they use.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
simcoe4life
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipNswirl View Post
Hi there, I brewed a very malty beer with munich, rye and crystal on wednesday. it's down to 1.012 and tastes too malty for my liking. i was thinking about adding some commercial lacto to sour it up a little bit.
is it too late for bugs? if so can i add some sugar at the same time for some food?
I've never done a sour beer before. cheers!
I wouldn't add lacto. I would attempt to dry it out a little more, and then add dregs from Bruery's Saison Rue or Jolly Pumpkin's Maracaibo Especial. Wait like 6 months and see what you end up with.

It sounds like you have a great base beer, it definitely has potential!

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #7
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry, I'm a wine/cider maker, and I was bored and wandered into the post. What are bugs?

Quick Reply