New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Thoughts on souring a RIS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
dcbeerboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thoughts on souring a RIS?

so, on Jan. 1 of this year, i brewed a HUGE RIS. OG was 1.122 and i split the wort between two yeasts. 5 gallons got us-05 and attenuated down to 1.022, which was perfect. the other, i used WY1450 (denny's favorite 50) and it only attenuated to 1.036. just so sickly sweet and it hasn't budged. I kegged it long ago and carbed it, in hopes that one day, i'd be able to drink it. that day hasn't come, and i'm unsure if it ever will.

so i'm thinking, why not purge another fermenter with co2, then transfer it under pressure and add some bugs.

have you every had an intentionally sour/funky stout? if so, what was your impression?

what bug blend or strain would you add?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4524 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 51

At a BrewClub function a fellow brought his RIS. It was ever so slightly soured and he was tempted to not offer it for the sampling (this was a small BrewFest and we were there to edumicate on HB awareness).

It. was. fantastic. And, frankly, more people came back for the sour RIS than those who came back for more of the Blue Ribbon winners.

And, lest you forget, (while it ain't a RIS) Guiness is blended with sour beer too. So, yep, it works.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

i had a porter that soured slightly. i particularly didn't care for it, but after tasting some commercial sours, i bet people who enjoy sours would have liked it. it's all down the drain now tho, lol.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

May I suggest you use a little Beano, It will chop down the sugars, allow the yeast to finish them up, as a result your beer will be dryer. PS: this also means it will have a thinner mouthfeel too. About 1/2 a tablet or one drop will convert the whole keg, easy does it with Beano additions.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have a RIS that's infected with Brett. I was pissed at first but I think it's nice. Beano with dry it out a LOT and you won't be able to stop it.

I'd pitch brett directly into the keg and let it sit at room temp for a couple weeks. Take the gas poppet out of the post and rubberband some plastic wrap over it. When it attenuates to your liking, chill it down again and enjoy.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ive made a cherry ris in the past that I let sour, and it was quite tasty, the chocolate and cherry notes played very well with the sourness and some brett funk

I think by adding some brett L (cherry nose) and adding the dregs of a JP calabaza blanca that you stepped up slightly you could have a very nice beer on your hands

Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
dcbeerboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I have a RIS that's infected with Brett. I was pissed at first but I think it's nice. Beano with dry it out a LOT and you won't be able to stop it.

I'd pitch brett directly into the keg and let it sit at room temp for a couple weeks. Take the gas poppet out of the post and rubberband some plastic wrap over it. When it attenuates to your liking, chill it down again and enjoy.
which brett (white labs... i have a gift cert.) would you pitch?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

A group of us have a bourbon barrel aged ~1.080 stout that we infected. The flavor is excellent, should be bottling in the next few months.

If you want it sour t will be tough since the beer is already ~12% ABV, I'd suggest going with bottle dregs they seem to have more acid/hop tolerance than the ones you can buy from Wyeast or White Labs. If you just want it a bit dried and with some funk, but no sourness Brett C is what I would use (its sister Brett A did good work for me in an RIS a few years back). Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
dcbeerboy
Recipes 

also, i figure i should probably take the keg out of the fridge soon to degas, right?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
dcbeerboy
Recipes 

been out of the fridge since last week, have been releasing the gas. should be getting my brett today, i'll make a starter tomorrow night and get it going for a few days. then i'll dump it in the beer and wait.

Quick Reply