Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Thai style medicinal homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
dad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How is their sato? Haven't decided what I'm going to brew yet. I'd like to make stuff using local ingredients, if it can produce something enjoyable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Interesting - my wife is from Thailand so I'll have to see if she is familiar with this. Her family lives in the Isan area (NE Thailand) and the folks in the rural villages have all kinds of concoctions they pass off for medicine (I'm sure some have legitimate uses but it's hard to tell the good from the bad). I lived there for a year, but never came across these brews.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Its great. Some times they add wild honey, bananas are a favourite and even things like lamyai work wery well.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I showed my wife the pictures last night, and her parents brew up the same tonics as you guys are making. They make bigger batches, since apparently my father in law drinks the stuff every day (that along with the Lao Khao and Red Bull drinks that he has with his friends. They would make Lao Khao drinks for me just to watch me cringe when drinking it... terrible stuff. Any health benefits they get from the tonics were likely destroyed immediately by drinking Lao Khao).
They would age out the tonics for 6 months and drink it while it's still kind of sweet. My wife liked to drink some of the tonics, but said a couple of them are pretty bad/bitter tasting.
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Quick Reply