*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Tell me why my sour plan is bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
lewismd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tell me why my sour plan is bad

I'm a rather new brewer. Three clean extract batches brewed. But I absolutely love sour beers, as does the guy I brew with. So we want to brew some, naturally. And because they take a long time, we want to get started ASAP. So here's what we came up with:

Brew up a 5gal extract batch loosely based on Northern Brewer's "Dawson's Kriek" kit. 3lb Wheat DME, 3lb Pilsen DME, 1oz Hersbruckers. We'll pitch WYeast Rosalaer right into the primary with some dregs.

A couple weeks later, We'll brew up the Northern Brewer Nut Brown kit. We'll rack the first batch into secondary and throw the new batch right onto its old yeast cake (and probably add more dregs). The idea is that the higher proportion of bacteria in the cake will make this one more intensely sour.

After a while, we'll rack the wheat batch onto some fruit. The nut brown will stay as a straight sour, nothing added besides perhaps some wine-soaked oak cubes in the secondary.

And then we'll wait.

So what did we overlook and what are we doing wrong? (It's going to be extract, we're not remotely close to being ready for all grain. Just to nip that in the bud.) Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm no expert, but that all seems sound. The dregs along with the Roselare are important, especially if you want it really sour; I've heard other say the Roselare by itself does not produce an intensely sour beer.

What are you brewing/aging in? Plastic buckets let in oxygen which can allow for acetic acid production, a good or bad thing depending on what you're going for.

Also, all-grain isn't hard, you're probably more ready for it than you think

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well.... It will probably kinda work.... ummm sour and extract usually don't work the greatest, or so I've heard

In Secondary:Old Croaker Imperial Stout

Long Aging: Old Bruin, Flanders Red Ale, Flanders Pale Ale, Wheat'n'Peach, TC- Aged Amber, TC-Aged Pale Wheat, pSaison Historiq, Black Bretty, Flanders Red Rye

On Tap: TC-Red Headed Stepchild, TC-Saison v4, TC-Misty Moorings,

Bottled: Thunderhead Imperial Stout, TC-Three Weissmen

http://brewtoadchateau.blogspot.com

Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Extract will work fine. Sounds OK. The best way to learn is to go for it.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I don't see how extract would be that different from all-grain for a sour. It's all malt.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
nberk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't have personal experience with sours and extract. As Jamil mentions in BCS, Steve Piatz has won national award using extract for lambics. So I don't think there's automatically anything wrong with it.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Do it! and be patient.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
lewismd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccann51 View Post
I'm no expert, but that all seems sound. The dregs along with the Roselare are important, especially if you want it really sour; I've heard other say the Roselare by itself does not produce an intensely sour beer.

What are you brewing/aging in? Plastic buckets let in oxygen which can allow for acetic acid production, a good or bad thing depending on what you're going for.

Also, all-grain isn't hard, you're probably more ready for it than you think
We'll be using Better Bottles. From what I've read here (and on their site), they don't let much oxygen in.

As for all-grain, we have a few other investments we need to make first. Like a wort chiller.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismd View Post
A couple weeks later, We'll brew up the Northern Brewer Nut Brown kit. We'll rack the first batch into secondary and throw the new batch right onto its old yeast cake (and probably add more dregs). The idea is that the higher proportion of bacteria in the cake will make this one more intensely sour.
it'll work, but i dont think its going to work as well as you're hoping. aside from the extra bacteria from more dregs, in a few weeks time you're mostly just going to be increasing the population of the sacchro strains in the roselare.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
lewismd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
it'll work, but i dont think its going to work as well as you're hoping. aside from the extra bacteria from more dregs, in a few weeks time you're mostly just going to be increasing the population of the sacchro strains in the roselare.
Well in that case, we're at least saving the extra six bucks for another smack pack of roeselare.

Quick Reply