Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Teamaker Hops in Lambic?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Weizenstein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Teamaker Hops in Lambic?

So I was just reading about the Teamaker hop, a super low alpha, high beta acid hop bred for the tea/herbalist market. (Rhizomes are available!) That sounds a lot like the profile for aged lambic hops right? Below 1% alpha, but lots of preservative beta acids. Any thoughts on whether this could be a good substitution? (Or jumping off point for experimentation)

I'm looking around for a few oz to give this a shot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have an almost one year old Teamaker rhizome that I bought for the purpose of experimenting with sours but I have read that when using unaged hops in beers the beta acids become bitter as they age. A ratio of 2:1 alpha to beta yields a beer that keeps roughly the same bitterness level as it ages. So the 15% beta acids in the Teamakers might be extremely bitter after a couple years.

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenstein
So I was just reading about the Teamaker hop, a super low alpha, high beta acid hop bred for the tea/herbalist market. (Rhizomes are available!) That sounds a lot like the profile for aged lambic hops right? Below 1% alpha, but lots of preservative beta acids. Any thoughts on whether this could be a good substitution? (Or jumping off point for experimentation)

I'm looking around for a few oz to give this a shot.
Sounds good, but yeah, you'd still need to age them.

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Quick Reply