Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Tart of Darkness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #51
Tomcat0304
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Somethings Happening...

Brewed this on 9/2/13 at 66* in temp controlled freezer. Moved to the back of my closet on 9/22/13 (temp has been a steady 75* inside). Just the other day the airlock started to bubble again every few seconds and is still going.

I'm not worried (pretty sure it's infected ) just wondering what might be the cause...

Cheers all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #52
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat0304
Brewed this on 9/2/13 at 66* in temp controlled freezer. Moved to the back of my closet on 9/22/13 (temp has been a steady 75* inside). Just the other day the airlock started to bubble again every few seconds and is still going. I'm not worried (pretty sure it's infected ) just wondering what might be the cause... Cheers all!
Did you pitch Roeselare? Assuming so, based on my experience with Roeselare that's pretty typical. The yeasts and the bugs in the blend become more active at different stages. I usually have a very active primary followed by a bit of a lull, then it starts back up again

Old 10-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #53
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery
Did you pitch Roeselare? Assuming so, based on my experience with Roeselare that's pretty typical. The yeasts and the bugs in the blend become more active at different stages. I usually have a very active primary followed by a bit of a lull, then it starts back up again
Oh yes, definitely pitched Roeselare! Again, not worried, just excited!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #54
The_Nid_Hog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm getting ready to brew the all grain version this weekend. I'm planning to add dried sour cherries and maybe some dried Italian plums to it too.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #55
gmr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a batch at around a year. Spent the entire time in a better bottle. It smells amazing - lots of dark cherry notes, but only has the sour level of something like an Petrus Oud Bruin. It's also quite dry, so I wonder if there's much left for the bugs to chew on. I'm thinking I might add some blackberries, as I have a big bag in the freezer.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #56
cheyneyr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

The oak chips were included in the kit I bought last year.

I brewed it last November and added the oak back in late May. A few weeks ago I moved it to secondary and I think I will bottle it soon. When I added the oak chips I took a taste and it was a bit acidic and maybe vinegary, but it was delicious a few weeks ago when I checked it. I'm really looking forward to this. I happened across a bottle of Tart of Darkness in Chicago a month or so ago at a Binny's, so I bought that bad boy and now I have something to compare it to.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 8 Posts

I ended up adding a small bottle of lactic acid to mine. It brought the sourness up to a nicer level but is definitely a different kind of sour when doing a side by side with Tart of Darkness. The Tart of Darkness is a much more earthy kind of sour where as the lactic acid is a bit sharper. I shared it with my local homebrew club and only a few picked out that it had lactic acid, guessing the others just didn't know the lactic acid taste as well.

Submitted it to our internal club homebrew contest. The main note that was consistent between the judges is that the flavor was a little thin/flat. They wanted more flavor from the malt to back up the sourness. I'd say I have to agree. If I was to do this again I'd up the malt bill. I may also ferment at a much higher temp to try and get more of the natural sourness from the yeast.

Overall those I shared it with at our club have enjoyed it and I'm happy enough with it for my first sour but I've been calling it a session sour stout.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #58
The_Nid_Hog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyneyr View Post
The oak chips were included in the kit I bought last year.
I know that Morebeer puts oak in with their Consecration kit that comes from old barrels at Russian River. Are these supposed to be anything from the Bruery or just plain oak chips?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #59
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 8 Posts

They are bourbon soaked oak chips, not exactly sure where they come from but you can definitely smell the bourbon when you open the packet.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #60
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Good to hear people are happy with the results and enjoying their homebrew versions. I got to try ToD at GABF this year and loved it. I'm pretty excited because I managed to acquire a used barrel from one of our local breweries so we're doing a ToD club barrel project. My contribution has been sitting in primary since the end of September and we'll be filling our barrel in a couple weeks. Then the exercise in patience begins.

Quick Reply