Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Tart of Darkness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #41
Jipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Could always measure out a very small amount of lactic acid and beer, see if you like the effect, and then scale up if you do? Might be a better route than just adding acid to the keg and potentially adding too much - just a thought! Either way let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #42
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I tried adding lactic acid to a tart fruit beer once. I added 15ml to six gallons of beer. Yes, it added some noticeable sourness and acidity, but I can't say it makes a good substitute for lactic acid fermentation with respect to flavor. I don't think I'll ever try that again.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #43
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think I'm going to try what Matt suggested. Might pull out three pints and add different amounts of lactic acid to each one, have a couple friends over that know sours to help try and determine the amount that tastes best to all of us.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #44
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I added the lactic acid in 5ml increments to the entire batch and sampled it each time. I had the right amount, but didn't like what it did to the flavor of the beer.

Vinny C doesn't recommend adding lactic acid to a sour beer that isn't sour enough. This is something I learned after I tried it. In his words, it makes it taste medicinal. If I knew this, I probably would have tried it anyway.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #45
javaguru
Recipes 

I brewed this last Dec and finally got around to sampling it. It tastes great! Still on the fence about adding the oak or not (leaning to not). Also, I want to bottle this but not sure if the yeast is still viable (been nearly 10 months) enough or will I have to add new yeast for the priming sugar. Anyone have any thoughts on adding new yeast?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #46
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was also on the fence about adding the oak, glad I did, it doesn't over power the flavor at all, it really compliments it. I was actually only intending on leaving the oak in for a few weeks but work got busy and I left it for over four and it was still fine.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #47
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by javaguru View Post
I brewed this last Dec and finally got around to sampling it. It tastes great! Still on the fence about adding the oak or not (leaning to not). Also, I want to bottle this but not sure if the yeast is still viable (been nearly 10 months) enough or will I have to add new yeast for the priming sugar. Anyone have any thoughts on adding new yeast?
I might try adding new yeast personally. Might try using a wine yeast, as the pH might be pretty low, making it tough for a lot of beer yeast strains to survive / do their job. Good luck, and glad it's tasting great so far!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #48
javaguru
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdude View Post
I was also on the fence about adding the oak, glad I did, it doesn't over power the flavor at all, it really compliments it. I was actually only intending on leaving the oak in for a few weeks but work got busy and I left it for over four and it was still fine.
Thanks, that's good to know. Maybe I chance it. I was just afraid of mucking up something that has taken this long. Ha, probably a common fear for first time sour brewers like myself.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #49
javaguru
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
I might try adding new yeast personally. Might try using a wine yeast, as the pH might be pretty low, making it tough for a lot of beer yeast strains to survive / do their job. Good luck, and glad it's tasting great so far!
Thanks! Yeah, saw on older post about using Rockpile...will give it a shot!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #50
BrasseurGeorges
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Vinnie uses Rockpile, so that would be a fine choice. I like to use Champagne yeast (EC-1118/Premier Cuvée) because of its tolerance to alcohol, pH, temp, etc. Very robust and readily available. Rockpile I've had to order, and found no difference in the end product.

Quick Reply